1947 Hudson Coupe, not mine

I really really love that car. I'd really like to have it. But I'd get in trouble.

I almost never see the coupes from that generation. My parents had a '47 four door up until about the time I was born. My dad told me he really liked it...so I guess I come by it honestly.

• Like 1

I am working to contact the seller. We will see where this ends up. 

First request for more information was answered with "I am in Alabama, where are you?" . . . . . .

• Like 4

Me: I am interested in your car please tell me more about it: (Listed for $11,000 in Alabama) 

Seller: Driver , not a show car

Me: Yeah that's what it looks like. How does it run? Is it a 6 or an 8? Does it have overdrive? What is the interior like? Can I get some more pictures from you?

Seller: Yes, it runs, like the original car it is, 6 cyl 212 ci no OD, interior like original design but door bottom edge shows wear. Most of my pics are on the Facebook advertisement, original headliner is there but worn.

Me: Yes, I am still interested. Have you owned it long? Is it original paint? You said it was a "driver" what work would it need to make it a reliable tour car? How are the brakes, cooling system, ties, etc

Seller: 15+ yrs, the previous owner painted it w/lacquer, he passed, his widow wanted the garage space, rolled it out and it snowed on it. Ruined the finish. I recommend changing to 12 volts, brakes ok, but not power. Cooling seems ok, hasn’t run hot. Tires all five are whitewall radials, the spare hasn’t been on the ground. The tires should be replaced if you plan to lots of higher speed driving. My buddy followed me one day and said I was doing 65, the speedometer said about 60.

Me thinking . . . . "Gee it would be nice if this flipper put some effort into actually trying to describe it. I am 3000 miles away. . . "
Car retains the (original) car port dust from where he bought it. Does not seem to have even tried to wash it. Guess he thinks it will ruin the patina . . . . ?

141813425_2820838234903635_6263541643308771797_n.jpg

141677176_1153910431732368_5191489028147154981_n.jpg

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I like the car, if it was closer I would look at it. If you buy it. I could use the piece of stainless steel trim that wraps around the roof, where it meets the body on the back.😄 That car looks like it fits nice. That chrome fender welting you see on the rear fenders. That is hard to find. If it is original. Another thing that makes a person think it could be a nice car. Is the running board/sill area. There is no real trouble area on these cars. The common areas for rust would apply. If door sills/running board area, and trunk floor in the rear are solid. Car should be good. It is the step downs that you need to watch out for. When it comes to rust. I bet it is a good car, just neglected from sitting. Ask about pits on the fender lights and other pot metal pieces. That chrome welting in the rear fenders is a curved stainless steel piece. That is crimped onto the welting that is pinched in between the fender and body. Those fall apart on rotten cars. Looks nice on this one. If interested, looks like it is worth following up on. I can answer any questions about that year. And have parts for it. Does not look like it needs any. Exterior bright work looks good. Long trim on side of rear fenders is hard to find in good condition. Lower grill bars look good. Bumper guards get pushed into them. Is there not a club member in that area, that could take a look at it?

I'd be curious to know how he knows it's 300,000 miles. I wonder if the ad was intended to read 30,000.

I understand m-mman's take on the seller: we live in an age where everyone has a video camera on their phone, and even I know how to take advantage of that technology. Would really help sell the car. Sometimes people can just be in the middle of things, I guess.

Good luck on the quest. Even with the unknowns and questionables, it looks fairly promising.

Even a basic phone takes good pictures. To step out your front door and snap a few pictures of something you are trying to sell. Is not being asked a lot. Plate on front bumper is for a HET chapter. Someone over there should know the car. I am not going any farther than posting links. I have enough to do.

• Like 1

I’ve been in contact with the owner, hers my observations.  Body appears solid, repaint that looks ok. Has not run in two to three years due to his cancer.  Upholstery has been redone. The dash faux wood grain looks superb.  No overdrive and without a true mileage, the condition of the mechanical engine is a pig in a poke.  The pics of the engine compartment show tons of cobwebs, so it’s definitely been sitting awhile.  

overall thoughts:

will need oil pan dropped and cleaned, check the bearing (rods & mains) spec

may need clutch service

radiator flush and possible service

drop gas tank and clean/possibly repair and seal

check brake system. May need wheel & master cylinder repair/replacement. 

All in all, possibly a nice car needing very little to get on the road.   Or a money pit needing Potential engine rebuild depending on mileage (unknown).  

I’ve had several 46/47 Hudson’s (all coupes) including a 46 Super 8 coupe with rebuilt engine and overdrive, California car running, driving.  Sold it 4 or 5 years ago for $11K.  

My personal opinion is this is at best, a $6500 to $7500 vehicle with all the unknowns.  That could change after viewing it in person, but not significantly. 

this is my humble opinion, your mileage may vary.  🙂

todd harrington 

winchester, va

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a pic of the odometer.  94K miles 

These engines typically are due for a rebuild at 60K to 70K.  If the oil pan has not been dropped and cleaned as well as removing and inspecting the water jacket and block it will certainly need a full rebuild.  

578C1804-567F-4EBF-8E27-75D58EF4D387.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hudsonite said:

My personal opinion is this is at best, a $6500 to $7500 vehicle with all the unknowns.

I also spoke with the owner . . . . "Why don't you just come over and take a look at it?" 

"Because I am 2000 miles away from you and COVID has stopped most travel. . . "

Seller also said that it uses two 6 volt batteries to start (on 12 volts) then it runs on 6 volts. 

He seems set on $11,000, saying that last year he wanted $12,000 and that is a significant price drop. . . .

So, I'm going to stay away from it for now. 

Thank to everybody for your expertise and quality feedback. 

• Like 1

Yeah not running,  huge price drop.  Speaking from experience after rebuilding two engines and a full brake job on every car that has come through my door,  that were all ready to go,  not to mention countless other problems.  My Dodge ran, but I had to replace both intake and exhaust manifolds as they were broken.  Not to mention lots of other things I found while I was in there,  that I corrected.  Now it's just parts and time I spent that I should have been driving them,  but if one isn't able to fix things themselves then the costs will just snow ball if you can even find a shop that will touch an old car.  Especially one that needs more than very light service or worse yet has one of those problems that cause it to keep getting passed around to other collectors but no one ever figures out what's wrong. 

I have a complete engine, transmission and rear end. In my parts car, never bothered to check the motor. Mileage on odometer is about half what it is on this coupe. Just to far away. There is a 46 coupe on eBay that I have looked at. This parts car could return that car back to a nice complete coupe. To far away, value of a complete project coupe is not enough to justify the expenses. The price of going and picking up cars has gotten spendy. If nobody in the HET club in his area has snagged the car. That might say something about condition or price. I still like it, but I am not in the market for another car.

IMG_20201207_113057147.jpg

• Like 1