1929 Buick coupe

corleone

I just purchased a 1929 Buick coupe and it appears that the clutches are stuck from sitting. Tried to run the starter while in gear and clutch pedal all the way in but it will not break loose.  Anyone have any ideas other than pulling the transmission? Thanks,  Don

I would try putting the car in low gear, have someone hold in the clutch, and have some friends rock the car back in forth, it should break free.

I would think your Buick should have a inspection plate for the clutch , you could remove the plate and use a pry bar to free the clutch.   Most likely just some condensation formed a rust layer between the clutch and plate.

I've freed a stuck clutch by jacking the rear tires off the ground and supporting the car really well.  Put the tranny in gear and start the engine.  Push in the clutch and rev it up to get some momentum in the driveline, then hit the brakes hard while still holding the clutch pedal down!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the trick as mentioned by Pete O. 25 years ago with a Ford Model A .

It free the clutch but stripped the teeth off second gear! We used the Ebrake..same affect.

If you try this..do not jam hard the brakes! But bounce forcefully on the pedal repeatly.

When a car is drivable some have started the car in gear and driven the car on a traffic road or yard with clutch pedal in and bounce the throttle .bucking the car with some good braking thown in.Hills help

If you are not savey to shifting cars with no clutch..and starting cars in gear plus being quick minded and co-ordinated..

Do not try it. Take it apart..

It.sucks but nothing gets broken and no one gets killed .

If you can get access to the clutch it is a cinch. Is there an access plate on the bottom of the bellhousing? Remove it, and slip a knife blade or putty knife between the clutch plate and flywheel, and between the clutch plate and pressure plate. You will need to have someone hold the clutch pedal down, or cut a stick that fits between the dash board and clutch pedal to prop it down. Turn the engine half a turn and do the other side to make sure. It is surprising how little rust it takes to stick a clutch together, and how easy it comes apart with a knife blade.

• Like 1