Another "what happened to"

There use to be info under a members ID/avatar of where in general (city, state, country) they live. And possibly but not sure when they joined the forum?

Wondering if the absence of it is is due to Peters  "changes to the template that inadvertently changed things" scenario that temporarily removed the post count and reputation numbers or if it's intentional. I always found this info helpful especially in the buy sell forums for cars and large parts or in cases where members could use in person help with a project etc. or just for the personal knowledge of knowing where our friends here live. 

In addition, in a members profile, I'm thinking that a member use to be able to "personalize" the "status" line from say Senior Member or in my case 10,000+ posts to something more personal.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

There use to be info under a members ID/avatar of where in general (city, state, country) they live. And possibly but not sure when they joined the forum?

Wondering if the absence of it is is due to Peters  "changes to the template that inadvertently changed things" scenario that temporarily removed the post count and reputation numbers or if it's intentional. I always found this info helpful especially in the buy sell forums for cars and large parts or in cases where members could use in person help with a project etc. or just for the personal knowledge of knowing where our friends here live. 

In addition, in a members profile, I'm thinking that a member use to be able to "personalize" the "status" line from say Senior Member or in my case 10,000+ posts to something more personal.

City/State/Country is still there.  Now called "Location".  Too many people were using it incorrectly or not at all.  People can update their profile if they want the info there.

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.53.51 AM.png

I removed the "personalize". It was being abused. It's now a generic rank title based upon the number of posts.

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.57.05 AM.png

• Thanks 1

Peter, After reading this, I edited my profile to add my location back to the text under my avatar. Typically profile updates occur immediately. The location information is still missing under my avatar. Is there still a problem or should this change show up sometime later?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

City/State/Country is still there.  Now called "Location".  Too many people were using it incorrectly or not at all.  People can update their profile if they want the info there.

Thanks for the reply.

OK, so if I want to see where a member who needs an engine that I have lives or that I might like to visit and have a beer with on a trip say,  I need to go to their profile to see if they may have happened to entered that info there. I guess a member can include that info in their signature if they want it known but look how many never bother with a signature. 

Edit. Or after seeing Matthews post, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Entering the info in the profile should make it appear under the avatar but maybe that is turned off?? 

8 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

And on a semi related note, Why is MrEarl listed as "10,000+ Posts" while I am listed as "Senior Member".  We still seem to have some odd inconsistencies in how things are appearing in that block.  

Thanks Senior Matthew, that was going to be my next question. Using post numbers as a "Rank",  aside from being boring,  seems to be redundant as that is already shown below the avatar.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

And on a semi related note, Why is MrEarl listed as "10,000+ Posts" while I am listed as "Senior Member".  We still seem to have some odd inconsistencies in how things are appearing in that block.  

Indeed. Mine changed all by itself sometime recently. I have not made changes to my profile in years. No biggie, just odd.

5 minutes ago, R W Burgess said:

You have to click on my profile picture to see my other information. 

But the point of the initial question was why is it no longer displayed under the avatar as it always has... And where did the location data go since I had to re-add it to my profile, and it used to be in my profile. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

Peter, After reading this, I edited my profile to add my location back to the text under my avatar. Typically profile updates occur immediately. The location information is still missing under my avatar. Is there still a problem or should this change show up sometime later?

patience. it will update. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

Thanks for the reply.

OK, so if I want to see where a member who needs an engine that I have lives or that I might like to visit and have a beer with on a trip say,  I need to go to their profile to see if they may have happened to entered that info there. I guess a member can include that info in their signature if they want it known but look how many never bother with a signature. 

Edit. Or after seeing Matthews post, maybe I'm misunderstanding. Entering the info in the profile should make it appear under the avatar but maybe that is turned off?? 

I'm trying to improve page speed with my most recent changes. Overall site usage is way up, and performance is effected.  By removing things from the forum feed I hope to increase page load speed.

Member info can always be found in their profile.  ASSUMING the member enters it. Most do not. You can lead a horse to water...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/11/2020 at 12:38 PM, Peter Gariepy said:

I'm trying to improve page speed with my most recent changes. Overall site usage is way up, and performance is effected.  By removing things from the forum feed I hope to increase page load speed.

Member info can always be found in their profile.  ASSUMING the member enters it. Most do not. You can lead a horse to water...

What percentage of the page data is the data on "Location"?  I wouldn't think that it would be significant.

Are you saying that each member MUST now re-enter their location information on their profile page and that it will eventually be included with the avatar?

You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes the water just isn't there.

Cheers,

Grog

• Haha 1

Hi all,

I also like to see where the replies come from, especially as I am in Australia. I enjoy contacting fellow Australians new to the forum to encourage their use, some I already know! Just my two bobs worth.

And it helps people with their response, knowing that we don’t have the same parts suppliers over here.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Added information (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1