1963 A/C-heat system vacuum hose diagram

Jim Cannon

Have any of you guys that have worked on your A/C-heat system on your '63 Riviera made a color vacuum hose diagram? Something like in the shop manual but with the colors of each hose and where they go?

I have been contacted by an ROA member looking for help with his '63 Riv. I don't have anything more than what's in the shop manual.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, Chasander said:

Bob one hose on the modulator is of a larger dia. Is that the one that goes to the STV?

Chuck, I cannot remember if one hose from the modulator was larger than the other. Just can’t remember.

Since I went with the STV upgrade(?) the modulator was no longer needed.

The electronic switch serves to engage or disengage the clutch on the compressor to keep the evaporator from getting too cold and freezing the evaporator.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

On 1/3/2021 at 6:33 AM, Chasander said:

Bob one hose on the modulator is of a larger dia. Is that the one that goes to the STV?

On the `64-`65 models the large hose at the modulator is the vacuum supply. I believe the same is true for the `63 model. This junction, ie the transition from small diameter hose to large, is very often the source of a vacuum leak which disables the entire system. This is one of the areas I make modifications in when restoring the vacuum system.

Tom Mooney

On 1/4/2021 at 5:52 PM, RivNut said:

Why am I thinking that two of those vacuum diaphrams are supposed to be dual diaphram units. There should be two hoses going to them. 

Ed, as I remember two hoses do go to the vacuum #3 and vacuum actuator #4. One hose comes from vacuum control panel that has a white stripe that goes to #4. The second hose, for #3 gets starts at# 3 port and T’s in another vacuum hose. ( I’m going on memory and I could be mistaken) 

• 1 month later...

Early on Jim Cannon wrote up information on the AC for his 63 in the Review. I want to quote part of Jim's paragraph and ask how I can achieve "open for heat and closed for AC ( Full Recirc) by having no vacuum applied to either diaphragm ( Or either port of a 2- Port diaphragm, like you use on the plenum on the firewall under the hood). I don't use partial settings at all.

The spring pulls the recirculating door closed ( full recirculation - no outside air) if no vacuum is on a diaphragm under the fan."

It seems I'd be pulling off vacuum hoses and plugging up the diaphragms? When four or five things are going on at the same time and something is done the four or five things change functions. I cannot follow the drill. Any help is appreciated.

Turbinator

Bob-

Under the fan housing, from under the car, disconnect the one vacuum line that feeds the "partial open" diaphragm and plug that vacuum hose with a golf tee.

If you still have the original double stacked vacuum diaphragms, that's all you need to do.

If you have replaced the original double diaphragm with a single unit, then feed the vacuum for the fully opened diaphragm to both nipples of the replacement diaphragm. Use a small vacuum T-fitting to send the vacuum to both ports.

Jim

Jim, first off a big Thank You. You’ve got get up to Ellicott City after everyone not contagious.

So vacuum needs to go into the single two port diaphram under the heater box. Take vacuum from the source with one hose then make T that go to the two ports. Simple. Thank you again.

Turbinator