57 special modified

Yes I am out of the Buick business (I'll be putting lots of parts under pay it forward) but I did buy something fun I could drive. The 55s have always been my jam, but I discovered the 57s have equally nice tail fins, but a lower, sportier stance. The grill is like a combo of 54 and 56, but I like the big ornament in the center (mine was removed but I have it and will place it back on). I've hesitated posting it here because the mods done to it will likely be less than popular, but here it goes.

Arrival:

I've already changed the hubcaps(see video below).

Current mods:

Electric wipers

1989 GM interior with bucket seats

12 disc changer and 6 speaker sound system

True duals

Paint (was originally blue and white)

Electric fan

Security system

Dual antennas

Planned mods:

4bbl conversion or holley sniper (still deciding)

59 buick oil pump

Power brakes

A/c

Here's a little walk around....

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

@NC-car-guy

Like the horn.  We should have a horns honking thread...lol..

But the exhaust sounds healthy.  Good luck with this one!

Now as to the fuel line. Didnt the 57 guys indicate flexible line from tank to pump is correct for 57?

Speaking of horns.  There is an ooga horn under the hood but I couldn't find the switch and just haven't traced wires yet.  Saturday cruisin' I pulled up to a stop light, grinnin' like a mule eatin briars when this horrid noise starts.  I thought maybe the water pump was dying. As it turns out, the ooga horn switch is hidden under the carpet near where I rested my left foot. Since I wasn't depressing it directly or completely, the horn was stuttering and shrieking. 😳  The exhaust does sound healthy.  As for the fuel line, I was unaware...  Isn't rubber hose more prone to vapor lock?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, NC-car-guy said:

As for the fuel line, I was unaware...  Isn't rubber hose more prone to vapor lock?

I don't know about the vapor lock propensity for flexible fuel line.  I don't know why it would be any different than the steel line.  Once again I believe in the use of that plastic wire loam product to insulate the fuel line.  Especially from the fuel pump back past the exhaust manifold. 

That's a funny story about the ah-ooga- horn activation.  Reminds me of the first time I drove my GS to work back in 2003.  Just as I was crossing the double railroad track there was an overwhelming clanging sound.  My heart dropped to my knees, figuring something blew in the engine and I would have to push the car of the tracks.  But turned out to be the train warning.  The bells went off before the lights and just as I was astride the two tracks.  Scared the be-Jesus out of me! 

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

You will not be sorry!  Is this their "new" series, where the ECM can mount under the hood someplace?

Wish we were close. I would be right there to help.

Ben

Thanks.   This ECM is going on my center console.

• Like 1

Bit of a delay. My grandma died and I've not been in the mood.  Last I worked on it though I installed the pertronix but need to add a spacer to my distributor. This means removing the pin holding the drive gear. This pin is peened on both sides.  I don't want to remove it until I'm sure I can find another and am able to reinstall just the same.

• Like 1

Why a spacer?     

I used a roll pin in mine,  just be certain it is a quality one. I had to get one from a machine [engine] shop.

To REALLY get the benefit of the FI , I modified my distributor to an "HEI".  Then let the ECM control the ignition timing.

Sorry about your Grandma. Losing a loved one , at any age, is tough.

Ben

• Like 1

So the pertronix ignitor II module is a HUGE waste of time.  In order to adjust it right, one must remove the drive gear on the distributor.  Once that is done, the hole seems a tad off for the correct size spring/roll pin.  I'm going to return the $130 part, send the whole thing to centerville, rebuild, recurve, and pertronix III install.  Buicks are easily the hardest cars to work on.  I do nothing but get myself into more trouble with each one I buy.  Next time it WILL be a ford.

5 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

So the pertronix ignitor II module is a HUGE waste of time.  In order to adjust it right, one must remove the drive gear on the distributor.  Once that is done, the hole seems a tad off for the correct size spring/roll pin.  I'm going to return the 130 part, send the whole thing to centerville, rebuild, recurve, and pertronix III install.  Buicks are easily the hardest cars to work on.  I do nothing but get myself into more trouble with each one I buy.  Next time it WILL be a ford.

I have a Ford and put a nailhead in it😁.  Now it is easier to work on  .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Distributor is on its way back from centerville.  All my wiring is ready and computer is tucked away into the console. I've ordered a blue tooth radio to fit the dash so I eliminated the radio slot in the console. Also covered the wood grain bits.

20201227_125656.jpg

20201227_125900.jpg

20201227_140554.jpg

Wiring done.  Distributor rebuilt by centerville with new pertronix ignitor III. Pretronix flame thrower .3ohm coil, flame thrower wires, new spark plugs, rotor, and cap. Just need to get the O2 sensor installed and the fuel return line run.  Once I test and debug I'll come back and clean up the wiring a bit.

20210103_144655.jpg

20210103_144708.jpg

1 minute ago, old-tank said:

Maybe try to run them under, but not touching the manifold.  Really hard to make that contemporary loom look good.

"Under" what? Between the manifold and the valley cover?  As far as the look of the looms.... meh.  This car will never look original again so I'm not too worried. Wait till you see the aluminum radiator 😉😁

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Matt, I almost missed this!  Sounds GOOD.  Happy for you.

Ben

Admittedly a holley sniper would be easier but this was cheaper and it's GM so parts are readily available.  OBD1 plug and I can diagnose what I need.

• Like 1

Looks like it's pouring gas down the throat and I know it's supposed to look like that.  Good luck.  I am anxious to hear how it does out on the road.   And I am also anxious to drive my own cars again too.  Freaking winter weather bites!  lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Matt, is that a Retrosound radio ?  I just put one in my Cadillac and I love it.

This is from custom auto sound.  Its nice.  Looks like an AM dial until turned on. Bluetooth etc... And fits the stock hole.

Nice!  I guess I haven't logged onto the Performance/Modified forum in a while. 

A friend of mine had an odd issue with his.  He found out that there was some sort of electrical interference when they air cleaner was installed.  He ended up installing a non-ferrous/non-conductive air cleaner stud on the FI unit.  cleared up the issue.  I'll read up a little more on his problem and let you know in case you end up with gremlins.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the dynaflow linkage adapter from centerville and made my own throttle linkage adapter. Got her up to temp, Idle and timing set. Missing a throttle linkage retainer clip, and a couple vacuum caps then its test drive time

20210207_135150.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...