57 special modified

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Delete

Not sure why I cant delete my own post. 

Anyhow, hoping I just have a bad thermostat. This AM we were about 34-36 degrees out and the temp gauge was getting warmer but the heat wasn't working in the cabin. Then the temp gauge climbed past my comfort level. Went home at lunch after it cooled down and verified there was coolant in the system and it looked normal.  Will check the t-stat tonight. 😡

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/1/2022 at 8:18 AM, NC-car-guy said:

Turned out to be a spun water pump. Send it off to have it rebuilt and had my spare rebuilt as a backup.  Found a car I find myself more interested in and maybe looking to sell this in the near future.

Hey Matt, what does a spun water pump look and feel like? Need things to look for, I think I've got something weird going on with mine. 

The 57 looks awesome man, still thinking about selling?  :(

6 hours ago, Beemon said:

Hey Matt, what does a spun water pump look and feel like? Need things to look for, I think I've got something weird going on with mine. 

So in my case the impeller came completely off the shaft.  It was not making any different sounds IIRC. I had tested the thermostat and it was fine, but when the car would hit temp and the thermostat opened, my flow into the top tank was noticably less.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Beemon said:

The 57 looks awesome man, still thinking about selling?  :(

Probably should since I have no garage at my new house however, it's my daily right now until I get the injector pump on my truck (2 month wait on the rebuilt pump)

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)

So in my case the impeller came completely off the shaft.  It was not making any different sounds IIRC. I had tested the thermostat and it was fine, but when the car would hit temp and the thermostat opened, my flow into the top tank was noticably less.

This is what I'm seeing in the top radiator, no change in water flow when at temp. It's flowing some amount, but it's not noticeable with any change to RPM.

Probably should since I have no garage at my new house however, it's my daily right now until I get the injector pump on my truck (2 month wait on the rebuilt pump)

Keep it! What type of gas mileage do you see with the fuel injection? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Beemon said:

This is what I'm seeing in the top radiator, no change in water flow when at temp. It's flowing some amount, but it's not noticeable with any change to RPM.

Keep it! What type of gas mileage do you see with the fuel injection? 

About 15-16.  But it's an engine and trans with 102k

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

gonna sound like you dropped a hemi in it.  Oh, wait, it does have a hemi in it already!😄

Yeah that factory Buick hemi with the much more restricted exhaust flow.  Unfortunately it will be Sunday before I get the new one back in. I'll report out then.

• Like 2

Cannot recommend this job without a lift.  PITA.  Starter is in but I just realized I have no keys to try it out. I left the key on the ring with the 72 that is in the shop having the hood painted and I didn't think it was going to take this long so I didn't bother to take the other keys off the ring. The spare is still sitting in my shop up in Durham. Ugh.

Been near impossible to find an o-ring that is the right size,  found one I think will work, installed and put fuel back...  we'll see.  Also trying to get a universal Velcro starter heat shield blanket on but with the mini starter and the power lug on the side, looks like I'll need a different wire to bend around to.put the blanket on.

Well it started leaking gas again a little bit today but it's just going to have to do because it's got a full tank and I hit the road 7:00 a.m. Thursday! I'll bring a drip pan so I don't ruin any grass at the Buick Gardens

O-rings must be compounded for the liquid they seal.  Need one fuel-rated if it's in the fuel system.  Same for transmission fluid and power steering fluid.  Nothing's "universal" although they might all look the same.

Glad you made it to Mr. Earl's "shop warming party"!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bought this.  Plan is to clean, paint, and replace every joint on it.  Put in the refreshed engine and transmission, disc brakes, and then move the body of my 57 over.  First I have the have the thing shipped.   SHEW Pricey, but still cheaper than going to get it myself.

57 frame.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Ambitious project. Take a couple of days?

Good luck.

Ben

couple years is more like it.  But I like the idea of being able to rebuild all the running gear with the car still on the road 😉

• Like 2