Posted (edited)

When I first dropped the oil pan and found this piece of metal....my heart sank.  Then I discovered it was a piece of the oil pump casing!  Culprit of low oil pressure found. 20210313_122151.thumb.jpg.37619e0301c82b76e943f1d8db7732c9.jpg

Drilled and tapped a new hole for the new oil pump, bolted on a GS rear sump pickup, and capped the old vacuum line port.

I did pull one main cap while I was in there just to see....  Looks like 40k more miles to me!20210313_122938.thumb.jpg.2e38a7db60ff935b157c4538d454ecdc.jpg

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

After last week's brake issue I ordered the m/c rebuild kit.  Pulled the m/c (holy pain in the @$$) and it is too pitted. Instead of waiting for resleeve I've ordered a rebuilt unit.  Hoping to have it all together for a show April 10th. For now she waits....

20210321_181912.thumb.jpg.7274b972efaa08c6e5bfe86675129b9f.jpg

16 minutes ago, Smartin said:

So what was your method of removing the nut from hell on the interior side of the firewall?😀

Well for everyone that said channel locks...  mine are not rubber so I have no clue how to get them in there.  I got a long chisel and tapped the nut around until it was loose enough to turn by hand (my hand cramped a couple times mind you).  Dreading reassembly, especially getting the pin back in the pedal connection!

You've already done the hard part.  It will go together much easier.  Clean the threads of the nut and the MC so it spins freely.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

If it ain't broke....don't fix it.  My car is down for another week now.  I figures with the condition of the radiator hoses and thermostat housing surely I needed a new water pump.  Ordered a new one, mailed a core I had.  Broke two bolts off in the timing cover...fixed that.  New pump and new radiator hoses on only to find a bolt hole in the pulley flange stripped on the pump

!#;$&$:$!!!😠😡. Take pump off. Send it back..ugh!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 9:15 AM, NC-car-guy said:

If it ain't broke....don't fix it.  My car is down for another week now.  I figures with the condition of the radiator hoses and thermostat housing surely I needed a new water pump.  Ordered a new one, mailed a core I had.  Broke two bolts off in the timing cover...fixed that.  New pump and new radiator hoses on only to find a bolt hole in the pulley flange stripped on the pump

!#;$&$:$!!!😠😡. Take pump off. Send it back..ugh!

Sent the pump back... it returned a week later unrepaired so I've sent it back again. 😡😡infuriating!!Last night I glued a used pump on with RTV.  We'll see if it holds for good guys this weekend!  

On 4/21/2021 at 9:20 AM, NC-car-guy said:

Sent the pump back... it returned a week later unrepaired so I've sent it back again. 😡😡infuriating!!Last night I glued a used pump on with RTV.  We'll see if it holds for good guys this weekend!  

Wow!  That truly bites!  How did the old pump work?  

9 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Wow!  That truly bites!  How did the old pump work?  

Oil pump is working well. 30psi at hot idle.  Makes me feel better driving it.

Posted (edited)

As in 25 years I've never been a victim of vapor lock.... I got my turn yesterday. That's what I get for being lazy. When I installed the EFI I left the mechanical pump as my "scavenger" and put the electric pump after it on the fender.  I've now ordered hard line to replumb the fuel system, and I'll move the electric fuel pump back near the tank and delete the mechanical one. 😒

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/29/2021 at 8:38 AM, NC-car-guy said:

As in 25 years I've never been a victim of vapor lock.... I got my turn yesterday. That's what I get for being lazy. When I installed the EFI I left the mechanical pump as my "scavenger" and put the electric pump after it on the fender.  I've now ordered hard line to replumb the fuel system, and I'll move the electric fuel pump back near the tank and delete the mechanical one. 😒

Yep.  The electric pump needs to be as close to the tank as possible and lower than tank. Mine is mounted on the frame just in front of the kick up for the rear axle.  I mounted mine, after tiring if the noise, using an exhaust clamp. The one with a metal strap with bolt holes, a piece of "belting" between it and the clamp, which is holding the pump.  Absolutely no sound.

Ben

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those pumps don't like to "pull" fuel...so you're on the right track by getting it as close to the tank as possible.

1 hour ago, Smartin said:

Those pumps don't like to "pull" fuel...so you're on the right track by getting it as close to the tank as possible.

Which is why I left the mechanical pump in to do the pulling, but clearly not sufficient

• Haha 1

Put 400 miles on this weekend.  By the time I got home I have an exhaust leak and a stumble....  Ugh.  Hoping the stumble is just the primary fuel filter (was on the car when I got it).  I'll replace it when I do the fuel lines and move the pump in the coming weeks. *fingers crossed*

• Haha 1