Oldsmobile Wooden Rims

M_Russell

New to this site, trying to find out more information about half a frame I came across while cleaning my late uncles garage. It seems to be the rear half to an old Oldsmobile, but that is all I know. Doing my best to find someone that could use this and keep it out of the landfill, which was probably where it was headed. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  
Located in Otego, NY

9942F1ED-C817-477C-B804-84F2B967EF56.jpeg

9A21315A-E8F6-427C-8169-9398D7333D03.jpeg

2E394544-0A2E-4297-B11E-595FD41C68A7.jpeg

67F51FD2-FC5F-49A8-9377-75532396294C.jpeg

Edited by M_Russell
Location (see edit history)

Front half. Late 1920s. It looks like the tire/rim size is 18 inch. Not worth a lot of money, but could be needed by someone with such an Oldsmobile. If the wheel wood is in good solid condition, someone may need those. And the rims will fit several other cars using the same size.

10 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

Olds used 18" wheels from 1928 to 1931. I haven't researched the hubcaps.

Ten spoke, five rivet, small hubcap is 1928-1930, but the frame piece looks to be 1930 to me. I could be wrong.

22 hours ago, M_Russell said:

It seems to be the rear half to an old Oldsmobile

Actually it is the front half and the wheels have a metal rim (that carries the tire, tube and flap) that is mounted on to a metal felloe that is the outer circle on the ends of the wood spokes.

It would make a neat frame for a period trailer.

Thank you everyone for the information! My next question is what would you do with it? I reached out to the Northeast Car Museum that is just over the hill from me to see if anyone would be interested, but no one was. I’ve been offered by a friend to have it be lawn art at his place, but something just doesn’t set right with that to me. Does anyone think this would find a home? Or would I have to set on this for years to have that happen. Open to any suggestions, and again, not looking for the money out of this, rather that it finds a home. 

• Like 1

Sadly, the aging out of the hobby is making it harder to get things like this to the right place. It used to be that one could usually find someone that had a similar car, and would take parts just because one often finds other owners of similar cars. More and more these days, the old owners are trying to thin out their own hoards. They don't want to add any more to them. Many owners now are the family members, and they often don't have so much interest in networking with other owners. In the past thirty years there has been a significant shift in the middle class. Most younger folks that want such cars don't have much extra space for the car, let alone a bunch of parts they do not need.

I and a lot of other people in the hobby have always considered extra parts for their antique automobiles to be cheap insurance. Having extra pieces when your car breaks down helps a lot to speed up repairs. Over the years, I have taken in many orphaned parts just so I could pass them on later to someone that might be able to use them. I still have a few 1930ish Studebaker engine parts that I have hauled through at least four major moves!

I still have high hopes that you can connect with someone that could use the Oldsmobile parts. If you haven't already, you should also post under the OLdsmobile treads under the General Motors headings. 

We gotta keep these old cars going!

• 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, GeorgeF31 said:

Do you still have this parts?  I am looking for wheel drums and bendix duo brake parts.  i believe that the brakes are the same for 1930 and 1931 - which I am working on restoring.  I am in NY state as well.

Hi George,

Do you have a 1931-33 F31 Dodge Brothers? If so, I might be able to help if MRussell doesn't respond. Send me a PM with your exact needs with photos of the parts.

Regards
Dave