1964 Buick Electra 225 convert

Dennis Hagen

I have a 1964 Electra convert complete but disassembled in storage that I have had in my possession for a few years. It was given to me by the owner in lieu back rent. My dilemma is he never  got me the title and passed in a sudden accident. His estate was a mess with former wives and running a business with a live in girl friend. This is in Minnesota and have applied for a duplicate but have gotten nowhere the dmv is in total disarray with computer system problems. Anyone have any ideas? I also have a 39 Buick four door, same story.

7 hours ago, Dennis Hagen said:

I have a 1964 Electra convert complete but disassembled in storage that I have had in my possession for a few years. It was given to me by the owner in lieu back rent. My dilemma is he never  got me the title and passed in a sudden accident. His estate was a mess with former wives and running a business with a live in girl friend. This is in Minnesota and have applied for a duplicate but have gotten nowhere the dmv is in total disarray with computer system problems. Anyone have any ideas? I also have a 39 Buick four door, same story.

I understand it's fairly tough in most states.  In IN its fairly straightforward to get a title.  What are you looking to do with the car?

Thanks for the reply’s, I haven’t done anything with car just take a few pictures for the dmv. The body is setting on the frame and the dmv said it needed to be more complete. Don’t want to put money or time into it without a title. Shame to try to just sell it for parts, make a great project for someone, I have other projects to work on. 

From a similar experience four years ago: screw the idea of hiring an attorney — use common sense.

-  Gather up all originals or copies of pertinent documents to submit to the State: name, address, DOB, record of time your former renter who you received the car from paid rent and didn’t pay rent to determine the value of the car; rent receipts; obit; pics of the car from all four sides; disassembled parts; copy of VIN plate so they can do a record search, etc. The more info, the better. You will most likely have to fill out MN Form PS2002-01, Statement of Facts.

-  The State of Minnesota is looking for dollars from anyone these days. Forget about doing business anytime with the State via telephone. Personally visit a State of Minnesota Registrar’s DVS (Driver and Vehicle Services)location that handles titles. I would suggest stopping in at their main downtown St. Paul office. Demand that you speak with someone knowledgeable about car titles — not license plate renewals, tabs or driver’s license renewals — and document his/her name for all future references. If you can’t get any satisfaction from the first person, ask to speak with another. After they review your submittals, someone will most likely make a decision whether or not you need to furnish a surety bond. You would then need to fill out MN Form PS2000-44, Application to Title/Registering a Vehicle. Be patient and expect to wait at least three months.

Good luck.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

“500 Miles West of Flint”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK Dennis:  Screw the lawyer.  Use that "A"  word (attorney)  and the meter starts running and it's  very hard to shut off.  I'd look for someone who has a DMV service.  Perhaps you can find someone locally on line or call a few local used car dealers or the closest auto auction for a lead.  NOT a big deal.   I was a dealer fore 30 years and there are many different ways to approach your situation. 

Mitch

Thanks for responses, these vehicles got mixed up in a nasty legal battle over business sale, transfer to a minority share holder and and the person that should be holding titles refuses to talk to anyone. I am a bystander but have possession for what it’s worth. Haven’t given up yet.

• 3 months later...