Testing 95 year old coils.

edinmass

Thanks Terry. The car would start fine and run about a mile, and die on the side of the road. After sitting, it would start right up and do it all over again. Today too many people pass or fail a coil by measuring resistance, and that’s not a good way to prove anything. I also have a machine that tests condensers. A Sun Distributor Tester is A must for working on cars with points. Many people have ignition problems they can’t solve, and thus they start changing parts. You CAN prove any part of an electrical system as good or bad, you just need the right equipment to diagnose the issue properly. I’m happy to test any coil for any AACA member for no charge if they think they have an issue with theirs. That’s why I made this video, helping out a forum member, and preventing him from a bunch of unnecessary repairs. He sent the coils with a return label and it was in and out nice and easy.I plan on making more videos in the near future on certain common subjects.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Excellent video!

Hopefully I get better........but it’s fine for a first attempt. 

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

If I didn't know you I would think there was a really smart guy doing the talking.

Definitely not very smart,  unfortunately I have spent too much time in the garage. Anyone can pick up a few things after 50 years.

3 minutes ago, Terry Harper said:

Thanks Ed!

That was fantastic! Great job! You need to do more videos.

Thanks Terry, I will make more...........the next will be a distributor on a Sun Tester, showing dual points synchronization. Probably late next week......the hurricane is starting to blow, and the rain is heavy here now. I don’t expect much damage, just lots of water, but with COVID it will probably take time to get back up to half speed again.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Thanks Terry, I will make more...........the next will be a distributor on a Sun Tester, showing dual points synchronization. Probably late next week......the hurricane is starting to blow, and the rain is heavy here now. I don’t expect much damage, just lots of water, but with COVID it will probably take time to get back up to half speed again.

Maybe that will get me to use mine.  Where do you get one of these cool old coil testers? 

The testers are not very common, and I have seen them sell from 50 to 600 dollars. They are easy to find needing restoration, but hard to find in the condition of the unit I have. Finding a condenser tester is also difficult. There was much more test equipment back in the day than most people realize. Snap On mad a LOT of special tools and equipment for special applications in the 30’s. I had an exceptionally good Snap On dealer who just retired. He would help me search out good used antique Snap On tools and testers. He’s now my helper at the collection. It’s fun working with old school mechanics who are talented and ready to take on any job without hesitation. I just purchased a 1951 Snap On tire balancer thst looks like it’s NOS. He located it on the nation wide locater that Snap On corporate has. 

• Like 1

I cleaned out an old Mopar dealer recently just for the odd tools that were left.  Lots of old miller tools, though most are scrambled up.  Some day I'll have to sort them out to see what I really got.  Also got a bunch of odds and ends that are nice for old car guys to have including all types of fasteners and small service parts.  I was hoping for the Miller brake tool,  but that was missing of course.  

Low and behold I ran across this one on ebay that had been listed for over a year as a $50 buy it now including shipping.  Fortunately I caught the guy just in time as he forgot he listed it that long ago and it was in his scrap pile.

Looks like it has adjustable jaws that work like a drill chuck to size up to different size spindles.  It was a perfect find as I'm just finishing up the brake job on the 51 Dodge and I don't see any way to do it without one of these and still retain my sanity. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...