1971 Chevelle convertible opinion

sappdogg

1 hour ago, Morgansdad said:

Sappdog,

Do I understand that you are only asking about the resale value of any Car ? If that's correct, no one here could answer your question with absolute accuracy because the price of any car is only what someone is willing to pay for it. You may pay $40000. today and keep it in as bought condition and in 2 years you may only get offers for about $35000. or on the other hand, you may get offers of $45000. or more. It is a crap shoot at best. This is why everyone here is telling you to buy what YOU really want. Just in case you aren't able to recover your money.

My concern is not about more or less 5k.

My concern is if one day someone will check the car and tell me that is a rebuild and the real value is 10/15k...

and also I would like to buy something that is reliable and it’s not break down every week...

all those red flag scared me out... 

Can look up any Florida VIN

Vehicle Information:
Vehicle Identification Number: 136671R162634 Year/Make: 1971 CHEVROLET
Previous Title State: FLORIDA Registration Expiration Date: 12/9/2019
Title: 61531023 Title Issue Date: 12/23/2019
Title Status: DUPLICATE TITLE WITH LIEN Title Print Date: 12/23/2019
Odometer Reading/Status: EXEMPT Odometer Date:  
Color: BLUE Vehicle Type: AUTO
Net Weight: 3,390 Owner Information: 1 owner
Paper Title Salvage:  
Brands:

9 hours ago, zepher said:

Duplicate title with a lien.

Another red flag.

Yes and No, not exactly sure what they mean by duplicate, but could be that being a 50 yo car the original had long been lost and a new one issued. As for the lien, just means that someone owes money on the car until it gets sold and is paid off. Buyer needs to be extra diligent. IF it was a car I REALLY wanted it wouldnt scare me off completely, just need a bit of explanation.

9 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Yes and No, not exactly sure what they mean by duplicate, but could be that being a 50 yo car the original had long been lost and a new one issued. As for the lien, just means that someone owes money on the car until it gets sold and is paid off. Buyer needs to be extra diligent. IF it was a car I REALLY wanted it wouldnt scare me off completely, just need a bit of explanation.

^^^THIS. Everyone here with a car they are making payments on has a lien on their title.

• Like 1

To the Original Poster, You said your daily car is a Hellcat. You should be aware that I doubt there are many 'antique' or 'muscle cars' that will measure up to a modern vehicle, especially the one you have. Driving a 'classic' is a whole different thing altogether for many reason. They dont handle as well, not as comfortable, not as much power, noisy, bumpy, rattles, radios not quite as clear, gas guzzlers, need regular attention, etc.................... Owning and driving one is a labor of love, and if they look cool doing so, more the better. Not trying to discourage you, just stating the facts. In my opinion owning an antique car has many advantages that overcome the negatives. 

Exactly, just a warning and indicates a Florida car  Just something tells me that this started life as a Malibu convertible, probably a 307/automagic, AM radio,  and possibly a rental with no gauges.

If you like it and realize it has no provenance then go for it.

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

^^^THIS. Everyone here with a car they are making payments on has a lien on their title.

But how many 50 year old cars have lien titles?
The only saving grace with the lien is the car is on a dealer lot.

If it was a private seller there is no way I would touch a 50 year old car with a lien title unless someone managed to get the car financed through a bank and that bank was local so we could go and sit down in the bank so they can sign and release the lien on the spot.

New cars with a lien financed through a bank or manufacturer's credit company are not anywhere close to a lien on a 50 year old car.

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Any one of them that has a loan against it.

And what would that percentage be vs new cars that have liens like you brought up?

28 minutes ago, zepher said:

And what would that percentage be vs new cars that have liens like you brought up?

My point, which you are conventiently ignoring, is that the fact that a title has a lien is not an unusual nefarious item. In this case, its a fully customized "50 year old car" with an asking price of $45K. How do you think the dealer paid for it in the first place?

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Another reason old cars have liens is credit consolidation.  Not that I ever agree with such a practice, or any other use of credit for that matter, but often times people find themselves needing (ahem wanting) to reconfigure loans to get money.  The bank tells that what do you have?  I see liens on everything for these types of loans (old cars, motorcycles, 4wheelers, boats, etc).  I’ve seen cars with 3 different lienholders (did the banks even know that, surely they did).  They were good cars.  Just need to clear the liens to make them sell easier.

Edited by 39BuickEight (see edit history)

19 hours ago, sappdogg said:

My concern is if one day someone will check the car and tell me that is a rebuild and the real value is 10/15k...

and also I would like to buy something that is reliable and it’s not break down every week...

Which is why $40,000 is not the best price to enter the old American car hobby at. (A little high.) Many people do it, however, and a fair number of them are pleased with the result.

If I were you, I'd be less interested in finding a reputable car in that price range and more interested in finding a reputable car dealer. Then you can wait for that dealer to come across a vehicle that you want and buy it with a little more confidence. Since I'm never in the market for $40,000 cars, I can't give any first hand recommendations, but I'd look for dealers who give extensive descriptions upfront and give both the good and bad points about the car (most cars have a few bad points, even when they look perfect in photos.) Befriending local muscle car guys with decades of experience and having them help you select a vehicle is maybe an even better strategy, but be wary of the ones who are looking for a newbie to sell their junk to. Most are going to want to help you, though. Good luck.

15 minutes ago, padgett said:

Since no one noticed I'll mention that while the STATUS on the title lists a Lien, the name of the Lien-holder is supposed to be listed at the bottom. That section is blank.

Note the section that says "Lien Information"...

Screenshot_2020-07-30 Vehicle Information Check.png

22 hours ago, sappdogg said:

My concern is not about more or less 5k.

Those "red Flag" warnings are something that everyone in this hobby goes thru. Nobody can tell you the right or wrong car to buy. That is solely up to you. We can offer any advise that you would care to hear. We can also try and help you with any problems with whatever car you buy. You just have to decide on the car. There are many different car clubs in almost every state that represent almost any kind of car you are interested in buying. The men and women in these clubs are almost always willing to stop what they are doing and help. You don't have to know how to do something if you know how to find someone trustworthy to help. You will find this kind of help in any club you join. Who knows, in short time you may be helping others with their problems. It's funny, in one of your post you said you weren't even American. That's not a problem that I've ever seen in this hobby. Everyone seems to have one desire, being around beautiful cars. take the plunge, we will help you get thru it.

1973 Corvette 004 - Copy.jpg

20160918_155541.jpg