1948 Ford Super Deluxe 8 Coupe restoration

ChrisLN99

Hello! Very new to restoring older cars (and honestly cars in general). My grandmother still has her very first car, a 1948 Ford Super Deluxe 8 Coupe in the garage and it currently isn't in the best condition. I'm wanting to restore it myself to have as one of my first cars and also wanting to do it so that my grandmother can see it working and in good shape again. It has been sitting around idle longer than I've been alive (20 almost 21 years) maybe even as long as my mom has been alive. Even as someone with very little to no knowledge of car mechanics I know that isn't exactly easy on the car to sir around like that. I'm wanting to keep the cat as original looking as possible while also making a few adjustments (I found a radio online that has Bluetooth/aux capabilities while also looking like an older radio, also wanting to add seatbelts. But besides those two changes for the most part I want to try and keep it looking classic. But i Know with the state it's in it'll be a bit difficult. I'll take some pictures in the morning and post them here but would love any advice you guys have on where to start, where to look for parts, autoshops that might specialize in cars like this, etc.  Thank you all in advance

• Like 1

You have one of the best supported collector cars of the era in terms of parts and club support.  Join the early V8 Ford club, assuming, as the vast majority of those cars were, it has a flathead V8.  Even the 6 is not bad for finding parts overall. 

Definately get a manual, and join the AACA (national club who runs this site) - be sure to join the local region.  Surely at least one, likely more members will be familiar with the model car you have.  Be a sponge and figure on planning before doing too much.  That said, you can research how to wake up a car that has been stored.  Especially fun!  Sounds like it may just have been parked vs. Had a mechanical issue which would be good.  Enjoy, you and your family have a popular vintage Ford.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

ChrisLN99,

Congratulations on wanting to be part of the wonderful world of antique and classic cars, when most people your age are just interested in punching buttons, punching buttons, all day long.

The VERY first thing to do when owning an old car is: Brakes.....

I have everything brand new for a 1948 Ford --- the Máster Cylinder, the Wheel Cylinders, the Brake Hoses, the Brake Shoes, and the Front Wheel Seals....... And a whoooooooole lot more.....

Always best to simply call me ----- Craig --- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York..... Welcome.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Number one thing is to find a copy of the shop manual for it so you have instructions on how to perform maintenance (if you're doing it yourself) 

I will definitely look into that! Thank you so much; 

15 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

You have one of the best supported collector cars of the era in terms of parts and club support.  Join the early V8 Ford club, assuming, as the vast majority of those cars were, it has a flathead V8.  Even the 6 is not bad for finding parts overall. 

Definately get a manual, and join the AACA (national club who runs this site) - be sure to join the local region.  Surely at least one, likely more members will be familiar with the model car you have.  Be a sponge and figure on planning before doing too much.  That said, you can research how to wake up a car that has been stored.  Especially fun!  Sounds like it may just have been parked vs. Had a mechanical issue which would be good.  Enjoy, you and your family have a popular vintage Ford.

Thank you! I will definitely find a manual and will join both of the organizations you listed. 

13 hours ago, JMAV8FORD said:

Join the Early Ford V8 Club of America (via their web site) and get the 1942 - 1948 book that the Club has published (also via the web site).  The Club has many Regional Groups so there should be one close to you.

I will right now! Thank you for letting me know!!

Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I posted 2 pictures (as many as it would allow for some reason) and as you can see I definitely have some work to do, on the exterior as well as interior. If anyone has anymore advice or would like to see more pictures my number is 916-712-3297. Thank you all again

As everyone said ....  there are many clubs  and  sites to get info, as well as parts.  But since the car has not run in 20 years there are certain things that need to be done to the motor before attempting to get it running again.  There are many threads on this site that you can view to get the info need for such a task.