1940 Nash for the Nash Fans $6500. Craigslist NY - Not Mine

Here is one on Craigslist.  You don't see too many in this shape at this price.  Of course needs full mechanical rehab but paint and chrome look very good for what it is.  In NY the no paperwork is not a huge deal but some places may be. 

https://rochester.craigslist.org/pts/d/walworth-1940-nash-ambassadore-8/7144969325.html

1940 nash ambassadore 8 - $6500 (walworth)

1940 Nash ambassador slipstream 4 door 8 cylinder twin ignition 3 speed w/od -- BARN FIND -- not been run for 20+ years - very nice, solid car, nice paint, nice chrome - interior nice but seats are needing to be redone - brakes work - motor turns freely - no paperwork - complete car - CALLS ONLY 315 524 8one83 - $6500 B/O - can also include 1989 corvette for resto rodding - hot rod rat rod vintage classic ford chevy dodge corvette camaro nova plymouth, excellent starting platform - MSTA

00505_dr8SPJkQ0nC_0CD0t2_600x450.jpg

00y0y_dkRCwfGnOXx_0CD0t2_600x450.jpg

00C0C_hVCL5I9t86s_0CD0t2_600x450.jpg

00A0A_1auNwRahsOt_0CD0t2_600x450.jpg

00u0u_hOprpbVSumu_0CD0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

No paperwork I would assume means it has no Transferable registration, which is all you would get in NY.  No titles for cars this old.  

Now a notarized bill of sale and a form for lost registrations in NY as well as a vin. tracing or picture of the vin tag will yield you a nontransferable reg.  Then after about 90 days (in a normal year) you will get a transferrable registration.  

• Like 1

This is an Ambassador Eight, Series 4080, 125" wheelbase, 261 c.i. Twin-Ignition straight eight.  Ambassador Eights continued through 1942.  Although we don't have exact production numbers, its a good likelihood Ambassador Eight sales comprised no more than ten percent of total 1940 model production of 63, 617 cars which included the Ambassador Six, Series 4020, and the low-priced LaFayette Six, Series 4010.  

I agree that this one is very tempting.  I love the body styling details -- the long hood (as noted), that great grill, and especially the crease down the middle of the trunk lid and the matching creases on the rear fenders.  I have always admired the look of the front end on these cars, but I had never noticed that rear treatment.

33 minutes ago, neil morse said:

I agree that this one is very tempting.  I love the body styling details -- the long hood (as noted), that great grill, and especially the crease down the middle of the trunk lid and the matching creases on the rear fenders.  I have always admired the look of the front end on these cars, but I had never noticed that rear treatment.

George Walker's industrial design firm had the Nash styling contract in those years.   He operated much as Raymond Loewy Associates, hired talented designers, promoted the design work to automaker management, all with substantial consulting fees.   Walker's fame in the automotive design business came with his supplying Ford with the design that became the 1949 Ford.  In the 1950's, Walker became director of Ford Styling.  

Those 'creases' are called 'wind-splits' in design parlance.  

• Like 2