Carpet or rubber mat

1937McBuick

What was on the floor in the back seat area of a 1937 Buick Special Businessman's or Opera coupe?  

I got a brown rubber floor mat for the front floor from Bob's Automobilia.   I don't see any reproductions for the rear seat area?

Check Hampton Coach/LeBaronBonney?

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

On 7/12/2020 at 10:28 AM, BLACK & Blue 38 said:

37McBuick,

Here is a picture of the one that was in our 38 Special coupe when we got it, and yes it was starting to crumble so we replaced it with some Black  rubber mat as our car is Black.

20180714_115733.jpg

Black & Blue 38,   is that about 4 feet wide?    Would you be able to measure the widest points across it's width and length.

Your user name got me thinking.  The paint color on my 37 is do dark blue that it looks black in certain light and at certain angles.

I described it as a rich dark navy blue.  

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)

I would be interested in finding a good source for black ribbed mat. I have a 1941 Roadmaster and my mat crumbled when I removed it to have new floorboards welded in. I understand there is a reproduction mat available fo my car but at $500 it’s just not worth it to me.

I also used the mat from Bob's Automobilia for the front of my car. I found some ribbed matting from Restoration Specialties that was not exact, but close enough. They will send you samples for free. www.restorationspecialties.com. Good luck with that. 

Mike

The trouble with these GM cars with Fisher bodies is the mat was not originally glued or tacked down. There is always SOMTHING under the mat you need to get to. For instance, in a 37 Roadmaster, it's the brake fluid. In a 36 Pontiac, it's the battery. The mat was apparently supposed to stay put under it's own weight. There isn't even anything tying it down at the edge.

Most of the ribbed flooring I have found is either Vinyl, or SBR Rubber. It looks like plastic, feels like plastic, and in the case of SBR rubber, doesn't weigh anything. It is also much more expensive than I was expecting. If you shop carefully at Restoration Supply or McMaster Carr you can get real rubber of some sort, likely neoprene or EPDM. It probably weighs more, but it also costs more than SBR. Then you have to fit it and probably glue it to itself. I doubt contact cement would hold up with people stomping on it. Maybe resorcinol? I'm trying to imagine how you would clamp it.

I seem to recall when I priced some nice heavy mat, and jute, etc. I was about two thirds of the way to a Bob's mat. Bob's is out of the one I need, or I would have already bought it. If you find a cheap solution that actually works out, please post back here.