1965 Electra horn location

Marq

Which is the correct place for the signal horns (dual) on a '65 Custom Convertible with A/C? Now both are in front of passenger side inner fender between the fender and front clip, but not sure if placement is correct. Hard to find original pics of engine bay. 

A period factory parts book, possibly a Mitchell or MOTOR Collision parts manual, would have a correct illustration of where the horns would be mounted.  Plus any optional "three-note" horns.

Unless somebody has re-mounted them, your horns are probably where they should be.  Especially if there is not a lot of slack or tightness in the wiring harness going to them.

If you go into www.wildaboutcarsonline.com, you might find some reprints of vintage road tests which usually had a under hood picture.  Only thing is that in one of my salvage yard excursions years ago, I discovered a LOT of small differences between Electras and LeSabres of the same model year!  Be that as it may.

NTX5467

There is no illustration in the manual. Mine are separate with the low horn on the passenger side and the high note horn on the drivers side. Mounting location can be seen in photos. T

Bill

IMG_4810.jpg

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4812.jpg

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

None of these manuals have pics or graphs from inside front fender areas in question, but Bill's images probably show correct positions. Low and High are quite far apart, thou. 

I must check for hints in the harness on mine. 

image0.jpeg

The larger Service Manual details the horn circuits and relay testing. It the proceeds to the horn switch plate in the steering wheel. No photos in that section.

There maybe other illustrations in the book... like this one. It even states to use the existing bolt.

IMG_4813.jpg

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

• 5 months later...

Marq Just incase this photo helps,its 64 Electra, stock from new, two horns on

front passenger side, and also has two  trumpet horns on drivers side, would think

65 would be similiar,but could be  wrong. regards.

P1060783.JPG

P1060782.JPG

Sorry , could a moderator remove  the three top photos,

only the 2 bottom ones are correct,  i tryed to remove these but could not   thank you,Wayne.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...