6 Volt Antenna Boost

Den41Buick

I installed a Redi-Rad on my radio and it allows me to play an iPod or my cell phone through the original radio. Much better than whatever awfulness is still on the AM band these days. Took about an hour to install. Works rather well.

redirad.com

Maybe your radio needs work. Most of the older GM tube type radios were pretty sensitive.

On the other hand, AM car radios generally have a trimmer that needs to be set after the radio is installed in the car and connected to the antenna and lead-in wire it will be used with. Has this ever been done since the car was put together? The radio is set to a station close to some particular place on the dial. I think it may have been 1400kc, and the trimmer is turned slightly with a plastic screwdriver for loudest reception. Metal is not used because it would detune the trimmer, and then when you pull the screwdriver away the setting would be wrong.

I have some 12 volt cars with truly horrible stock radios. I bought 5 different types of 12 volt booster to figure out which worked the best. All were crap. Two of them didn't even let the signal through. The others didn't seem to do much good. I was mainly trying to boost FM. Most do not even boost on AM when they work properly. There may be some good 6 volt ones out there, but in my opinion the odds are stacked against you.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

We live 35 miles from Providence. The radio does not get a signal where we live. When I am in Providence, the radio works perfectly and the sound is crystal clear.  I do enjoy AM radio and have no interest in adding any modifications to the set. Thanks

As Bloo says, GM radios (Delco) were very good in sensitivity. Have you adjusted the trimmer? Is the antenna full length? Does it work at night? 740 out of Toronto has period music.

A metal screwdriver usually works on Delcos. If not, it will be like Bloo says, removing the screwdriver changes the signal, it will be obvious.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The trimmer adjustment is from an access hole on the back of the radio. Try that first.

As mentioned above your antenna should be fully extended. Be careful about the garage, though. Always put the antenna back down before entering the garage if you back in or when backing out if you usually drive in front first. (guess how I figured that one out!).

Have all of the capacitors been replaced with modern ones? Have the values of the resistors been checked? Have all the tubes been removed and their pins cleaned (a little contact cleaner and several insert / remove / insert actions will help).

Also, if you live in a rural area you should expect to receive fewer stations, especially during the day. In RI you should receive whatever is local (15 miles or less) and  high power stations like the news stations in NY, even during the day. At night you should receive dozens of stations from all over.

I have a europea n radio in my MG which has medium wave and long wave settings so I can only get a few am stations. I tried setting the trimmer screw but I used a metal screwdriver.I'll have to find a plastic one,Thanks for the information.Greg