1937 FEDERAL Tow Truck - $8900 - Pueblo, CO - Not Mine

1937 FEDERAL Tow Truck - $8900 - Pueblo, CO

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/pueblo-1937-federal-tow-truck/7146514129.html

Find another one?  Super cool, super rare.   Complete and untouched for decades. Its like the old boy just stepped out of it in 1952... His flashlight is still attached to the steering column. All 4 of his lug wrenches are still in the toolbox. (Before they had 4 ways). The belt and chain driven winch was added at some point and it has a much larger radiator. Still retains the original hand cranks for engine as well as Weaver hoist. The missing side tool box door is in the bad as well as the rear cab missing panel. Its all there. I know the rear tires roll for sure as I towed it home 5 blocks on them. I believe the front wheels turn/roll as well. Check out those huge hooks on front frame rails!! These boys weren't playing. Can only imagine all the stories this truck has to tell. There is an axle and eye bolt attached to chain on boom. No idea why but obviously put there for a reason. The name FEDERAL is on both running board mat as well as rear panel. The cab has tilt out windshield, a fan, spot light and (Count them....) SIX levers!!! Truck is truly as bad ass as the man that operates it.  I'm willing to help load onto your transport. I may also possibly deliver within a 500 mile radius of Pueblo.  No,,,, the truck does not run or drive. Its been parked for decades!!!! A true time capsule back to a simpler time. I have many pics to share.

Contact: Steve, copy and paste into your email:  7e219918a9b23925b213e44e6a8166f7@sale.craigslist.org 

Note: clicking on 'show phone number" returns a failure error for me, give it a try anyway if interested.

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1937 FEDERAL Tow Truck.  

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co a.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co b.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co c.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co d.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co e.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co f.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co g.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co gg.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co ggg.jpg

'37 FEDERAL Tow Truck CL co h.jpg

Hard to say how long it sits.  I could easily see a guy buying this for the patina (genuine not faked) and shipping it East where it gets a Cummins swap.  Guys aren't as much into projects but when alot of it is mechanical and they won't have to paint or anything it becomes more paletable.  The lack of rot goes a long ways. 

What more could you want from a vintage tow truck ? Auburnseeker hit the nail on the head about a Cummins swap and leave things otherwise as is. The big question mark for me would be the rear end ratio. Most likely a 45 MPH unit. If you swap rears you will

end up with different rear wheels and loose some of the visual charm. A overdrive with a big gear up would be a better solution than a rear end swap but probably a lot more expensive.

That red Ford in the background,  with the twin boom Holmes set up also looks appealing. Not as much vintage visual attraction but a much more useful machine overall. It probably has one of the HD truck versions of the FE gas  engine so a bit on the thirsty side.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

This really is an awesome wrecker with great looks.  I agree that a Cummins/5-speed swap would be the hot ticket and would [largely] take care of the rear gear issue. It'll never be an 80 MPH freeway flyer, but an OD 5-speed from a Dodge 1-ton pickup would make it a reasonable 60 MPH driver. I love the look and have never seen one like this before. However, it's a LOT more project than I could tackle, much as I would dig owning it.

Nevertheless, I'm still holding out for a Cadillac/Lincoln/Packard/Pierce tow truck. I feel like blowing some minds.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

That 3 ton must have been considered a very heavy duty unit when new . The wheels look the same as my 1946 GMC 2 ton.

I would like to give it a new home but I am having trouble managing what I already have.

Greg

54 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

That 3 ton must have been considered a very heavy duty unit when new . The wheels look the same as my 1946 GMC 2 ton.

I would like to give it a new home but I am having trouble managing what I already have.

Greg

That 35 3 ton is a little truck. Look at my friends 1936 Autocar.

1936 Autocar (4).jpg

1936 Autocar (5).jpg

1936 Autocar (6).jpg

1936 Autocar (8).jpg

• Like 2

Truly remarkable for 1936. Most semi's in that day were single axle tractors with single axle trailers. That must have been one of the larger non military trucks on the road at that time.

Greg