1935 President

After a weekend of sorting through parts stashes, I discovered (with the help of a friend) that I was somehow in the possession of a 1935 President over-drive transmission. Looks to be in very nice condition and complete. I believe these are a one year only production unit. I have no real use for this so, drop me a PM if interested. Thanks.

I looked through the parts book and think the transmission may fit a few other cars, at least.  The '35 Presidents seem to have used a different shift tower, but most of the gears and minor parts seem to be the same for 1934 and 1935 Presidents and 1935 Commander 8s.  The bell housing is the same for those models, so it should bolt up.  It's possible that it would also fit 1936 and 1937 Presidents but not guaranteed.

I think input shafts are probably the difference, the main transmission may be 'interchangeable'...  I'm always curiously finding and learning about the earlier stuff.

I have this one here that I am trying to ID.  It may not even be Studebaker. 

Notice a  switch on the top,  a band brake and bolted yoke,  an OD governor?  and electrics..... Another odd part is the side cover.    Most were top loaders?

1930's Transmission 001.jpg

1930's Transmission 002.jpg

(S):  I don't think what you show photos of is a Studebaker transmission.  Here is the drawing in the Parts Catalog for the 1935-37 transmissions for 8-cylinder cars.  The 1935 President was a model 1C.  They all used the same clutch plate and pilot bearing in the crankshaft, so Chris' transmission should fit all '34-'35 Presidents and '35 Comanders.  The shifter tower changed after 1935 which probably caused changes in the main shaft inside the case, but the part outside should be the same

1314926248_1935-37Studebaker8transmission.thumb.png.76363f2a147dac32911363774d9f71f7.png

Hello Robert. Well, let me say "probably". I got The O.D. a while ago and it was not attached to a gearbox.  At the same time, I got a couple of free wheeling units and a T83 and half of a T81 . Half because the actual trans case was somehow ripped away from the bell housing, leaving the mounting flange on the bell housing, which was then lost to time who knows when. Anyway, the O.D. and gearbox I have were likely never together. But who knows?    On a separate but related topic, I'd like to ask the guys and gals out there what they would use on their car? Free wheeling or Overdrive? My car is a Commander, so I was going to use the F.W. as that's how it was built. Any thoughts out there? Thanks!

On 6/26/2020 at 12:51 AM, (S) said:

Find any '32 Commander 71 parts in your stash?          I do not  need a '35 Trans , but numbers on the case would be good, or a picture?  I always have things to ID.  

If you have a choice put in a 40 or later overdrive.

terrys 40 pres 003.jpg

I'd keep an eye out for one, but the car was already mechanically restored , so it has freewheeling for now but no cable.   I  did not mean to hijack this thread except I was wanting to know about options.