How does this steering wheel come off??

28 standard six. I'm trying to get the steering wheel off. I have the nut off, I see the wheel is keyed. I have tried using a block of wood and a hammer from behind but it won't budge. I can't get it off. The bushing in the top of the column has gone dry and is squeaks. I just want to lube it. I even tried removing the whole column but I can't get it out of the box. What holds the steer shaft in?  I can't figure this out without breaking something

Any help?

15929422463961768473539708540975.jpg

They make special pullers for these old wheels.  I bought mine off ebay.  I used a couple of blocks of woods and some bolts to bolt them together with the U shape cut out of one for the column before i bought my puller and it worked but after that I decided to buy a puller when I could find one for the next time.  Similar idea to the original puller.

Now if you are just trying to lube the bushing I would spray it if at all accessible with some Fluid film. It penetrates and stays. The cans come with a little straw like carb cleaner.  You can really get in tight spots.  That would be easier than removing the wheel.  

You might even beable to get enough around the key way for it to eventually get down to the bushing if no other access is possible. 

24 minutes ago, 23hack said:

These columns of this period usually have a small hole just forward of the wheel on top just for oiling the upper bushing. Small hole. Put the nut back on loose to preserve the threads. 

There is a small hole in the column near the box, maybe my column is upside down? Nothing near the wheel though. Any pictures of this hole or maybe a location I could drill one?

I had a similar problem with mine the other day when I was doing it. 
 I sprayed a bit of penetrator Oil on it and the warmed it up with the heat gun and it basically fell off with no effort at all. When I say warmed it up it was way to hot to touch. 
My steering wheel has a small hole in the bottom of it just above the shaft. 
the hole in my steering column shaft is down the bottom near the box. 

Edited by Mattml430 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good. I have a 1928 D B myself and decided to replace the horn wire from the button down to the fuse box. I did not have a manual (is there one ?). I am writing this for others who may one day require removing the steering wheel for any reason. Look around the hub under the spokes carefully. There is a disc like  sheet metal coming from the underside and is tight fit on to the hub. Use a sharp screw driver( with a sharp square blade) and gently tap around the sheet metal. It will drop down the shaft. That is only a dust shield, Rough handling can distort it. Then you may have to stand on your head and look under the hub to see the screws that holds the assembly and horn  button on top. It is possible to pull the horn switch assembly up . Disconnect the wire from the fuse panel and   pull the assembly out. The nut in the shaft is then exposed.  That part of the shaft that  is threaded is thin so be very careful not to distort it. Leave the nut 3/4 quarter ways down to protect the threads. The wooden spokes are embedded in the metal hub so be careful with heat from flame . 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Trini and guys you do NOT need to pull the steering wheel to access the horn wire. That horn wire is fastened to the button in canter of the bakelite levers which are secured to concentric shafts and secured at the bottom of the steering gear with those linkages to the timing and throttle override. Take MANY pix BEFORE disassembling those. You will need to pull those levers out a bit and find a snap ring that holds the bakelite horn disk to a notched flange on the inner (smaller diameter) tube. The horn wire extends through a fitting in the top flange. It is soldered up at the top and extends all the way down inside that tube and exits past those adjustment fittings and continues over to the frame and goes up PAST that terminal block and continues in back of the vacc tank over to one of the two terminals on the horn. The other horn terminal goes back to that terminal block to the bottom (power) terminal. Been there and done that. Not an easy fix. Good Luck!