Glidden Tour

hwellens

Frank,

I wish it were simple to pull off an event in these times.  I have organized a lot of national tours in the last twenty years for different clubs.  I have spent two years working on this Glidden and really tried to make it work.  We are less than 90 days from the start date and in the last two weeks lost over two days worth of things to do, all the food events were in trouble with the NYS guidelines and lack of information, attendance was dropping and this was all making it harder to deal with financially.  Foremost we did not want to endanger our hobbyists not to mention contract commitments, sponsorship and a few other things.  I feel a lot of it was due to NYS and how all aspects of this pandemic have been handled here from the shutdown to where we are today with very little guidance for anything looking out to September.  I had NO control over that just had to suffer with it!  We could not take the chance on being shut down as the event started after investing time, money that would have been non recoverable, liability issues, etc.   If you have ever ran an event you know the myriad of things to consider in making it to the finish and it just was not heading that way for this Glidden in today's world.

Sorry to disappoint you, I am too,

Bill Preston, Tour Director 2020

This was posted on another thread by the Tour Chairman who has been working for well over a year trying to put this event on.  I feel his pain.

• Like 2

Bill, as I said in the Glidden post in General Discussion we can't thank you and your team enough for the effort you put in to make this tour work.  I suspect it could have been pulled off in an area that wasn't hit so hard by Covid-19.  Time will tell what happens to the Central Divisional Tour.  Carlisle last week end provided a glimmer of hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I suspect it could have been pulled off in an area that wasn't hit so hard by Covid-19. 

Where is that?  Our town went from 3 positives 3 weeks ago to 230.   A small church who didn't stay home infected the whole county.

Opening up didn't help here.