toyota

broker-len

I had to drain the tank on a Dodge van after it got dunked in a river. Punched a hole in the tank with a sharp pointed drift and let it drain out then filled the hole with a self tapping screw and neoprene washer. Punching rather than drilling had 2 advantages - no sparks, and the folded up edges of the hole gave the screw an excellent bite. Put a quart of methyl hydrate in the tank to pick up any water and filled with fresh gas.  Drove the van for years afterward with no problems.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thank you Rusty----in this case this is a car that we are just not using right now ---it has been off road for a year    still runs good but the gas will get funky----I did put stable      the tank seems to be under the rear seat    but can not get a hose to the gas

Modern cars can not be drained with a hose.  Quite likely you cant even get a hose into the tank.  

For roll-over protection it is typical (required?) to have a one way check valve in the filler tube.

Sometimes they have a (tennis sized) ball device that will fall backwards and prevent fuel spillage if the car is on its roof. 

Making them safer, but not easier to repair. . . .  

To old car fan. Down here during a fuel shortage the young low lifes would have a miners pick and kiddies plastic wading pool or clam shell sand pit. Lever the pick against the ground and under the fuel tank to punch the hole and collect the fuel with the wading pool. Can be messy but effective! 

Disconnect the fuel line at the engine, point it into a tank, and use a compressed air hose at the filler to put a little pressure in the tank. Dial the regulator on the compressor down to 20-25 psi. Use a rag to help seal the air hose blow gun in the tank inlet. It doesn't need to be perfect.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

9 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Disconnect the fuel line at the engine, point it into a tank, and use a compressed air hose at the filler to put a little pressure in the tank. Dial the regulator on the compressor down to 20-25 psi. Use a rag to help seal the air hose blow gun in the tank inlet. It doesn't need to be perfect.

I've done this by 2 methods. One was to cut the valve out of a truck inner tube with a circle of rubber attached and clamp it to the filler neck with a hose clamp. Worked great, and you could tell  you had pressure by the way it bulged. The other was to use an air blower with a short pipe on it, stuck thru a foam rubber ball. Hold the ball tight in the filler and press the trigger. The first method is better if you have an inner tube.

9 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Or disconnect the line as Joe says but just turn on the ignition and let the fuel pump empty the tank for you.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Or disconnect the line as Joe says but just turn on the ignition and let the fuel pump empty the tank for you.

That's what I started to write, but it occured to me that the likely reason for needing to drain the tank is to replace the electric pump. Been there, done that...

I know that for me, the pump ALWAYS fails right after filling the tank... 🙄

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1