What does "400" mean on 1966 LeSabre 400?

On a 1966 Buick LeSabre what does the "400" mean that is located under the LeSabre script on the rear quarters? It has a Wildcat 375 (340c.i.w/4bbl) 260hp and Super Turbine Transmission, 4 dr sedan. Thanks.

I concur with Roberta, it's related to the SuperTurbine 400 trans, probably moreso than being tied to an engine option at that time as the ST300 could be had with larger motors too. The SuperTurbine 300 2-speed automatic was the "base" automatic into the later '60s. These were "switch pitch" converter automatics. The ST400 is a variation of the TurboHydraMatic 400 trans used by other GM divisions, yet the higher carlines got the switch pitch converter that Chevies and Pontiacs didn't.

Every Buick 4bbl V-8 back then was "high compression" with the compression ratio you mentioned, typically.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

Assuming the option stayed the same for 67 code A9(LeSabre 400 High Performance Group) consists of High Performance V8 Engine(4 Barrel Carb/340 Cubic Inch) with 3 speed Super Turbine Automatic Transmission

It appears as if you could get the Super Turbine on it's own as code B1, but code A7(the 340/4Brl V8) was only available with B1. Prices in 67 were A7 $26.32, B1 $204.24 or A9 $263.13

Guest my3buicks

That's an interesting one Henry, is the drivetrain original to the car? There is alwasy the possibility also that someone liked the 400 Emblems and added them. I checked my 69 books, and the A9 option was the same in 69. So one can guess it was the same for 68. Anyone with 68 books want to verify that.

From what my '68 Buick service manual shows, the 350 V-8 (no carb spec) in a LeSabre could have the 3 spd manual trans, the ST300, or ST400. The Wildcat, and higher level cars with the larger motors (plus a selection of the intermediate cars with the larger engines) would only have the ST400.

My uncle bought a new '68 LeSabre 4dr hardtop with the 350 2bbl and ST300 trans. I somewhat suspect there were lots of them equipped that way. My '68 LeSabre Custom Conv. has a 350 4bbl and ST400. The Turbo350 came out in '69 model year so it was either the ST300 2spd or the ST400 3spd automatics prior to that.

It's possible someone could have swapped the engine/trans in a prior time, but considering how things usually happened back then, only the engine would have been changed and the trans would have "stayed there". Too many little side issue things to change to go from a ST300 to ST400 or vice versa.

If people would buy some emblems and make "clone" Z-28s, they could also have bought the 400 emblems and added them to your car too. Might also have been a factory miscue or miscoordination on the assembly line--or a shortage of ST400s when that particular car came down the line so they substituted the 350 2bbl w/ST300 in its place, rebated the price difference to the dealer and everyone was happy.

Possibly, if you desired to disassemble the car for a copy of the build sheet (if it hasn't disintegrated by now) that might indicate what the "build order" for the car was, either ST300 or ST400. That might narrow things down somewhat. Might also be some codes on the ProtectoPlate or data plate under the hood.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

In 1967 Buick had a "new" 400 Package for the LeSabre or Sportwagon Which was was a super turbine 3-speed tran plus a 4-BBl 340 engine. I have not yet found a reference to a 400 in 1966. Norb

So I take it that the LeSabre 455 in 1970 was the only year that the number actually refered to the engine displacement? That's kinda stupid if you ask me...but then again, I guess "350-2" or "350-4" doesn't sound too intimidating.

Ok, so this might sounds stupid, but could the LeSabre 400 just be a name? There was the Chrysler 300...was that in reference to anything?

The Olds 442 was for 4 barrel, 4speed, and dual exhaust. (I believe), but I could never figure out what W-30 meant...or W-29 for that matter.

My question is, does every numerical name have to have a reference? It could just be the lucky number of the engineer that thought of the option.

just my 2 cents...

Adam tongue.gif

Guest Skyking

O.K. I just dug out my 1966 Buick Brochure. Nowhere does it mention 400 in a LeSabre series. The transmissions are labeled as Super Turbine & Option (Automatic) Super Turbine. There wasn't a model "400"........

Hee-hee... wait 'til you find out about W25, W26, W27, W33, W34, W35, W36, W39 ad nauseam. Then there's W43, OW43, W45, W46 and W88. W was simply Olds' performance equipment option prefix, similar to Chevrolet's Z. The story is that when the Hurst/Olds was under early development around 1966 or so, John Beltz had had a particularly trying day selling the H/O idea to GM top management. Jack "Doc" Watson from Hurst was in the meeting too, and after arguing his case to the 14th floor Beltz said all the performance options should be coded "W"- so that everytime he saw them he'd remember what Watson had put him thru.

Rocketraider (at work in the land of electrons and unregistered)

The Le Sabre 455 was also available in 71-72(with 455 badges) I am not shure about 73 because that year the 455 was an option on the Centurion (with the same badge). In 74-76 the Le Sabres could still be ordered with the 455 but had no exterior identification. Unlike to the earlier 400 package that was available before 1970, if I am right, the "455" Le Sabre was available only on custom trimmed Le Sabres and it replaced the former base Wildcat. The base Wildcat had the same powerplant than the Custom model but had the Le Sabre Custom interior. In 1970 the Wildcat was available only with custom trim. About the 65 to 69 Le Sabre 400, I am pretty shure that they were available in both base models and custom models but all those that I have seen had custom trim. I am also pretty shure that they all included 4 barrel carb. The 65 had 300 engines variable pitch st-400, in 66-67 they had the new 340 engines (the 300 engine remained available only on smaller cars) and had the same transmission as in 65. In 68, all Le Sabres had the new 350 engine and a different non switch pitch st-400 (the base st-300 transmission also lost the switch pitch that year) In 69 the transmissions changed their names for THM 350 and 400 and were both 3 speeds.

The 455 engine was standard in the Centurion series in both '71 and '72. This engine became an option for '73, when the 350-4bbl became standard equipment.

For all three years, the Centurion was unique among standard full-size Buicks in offering a "Modified High Performance 455" engine option that was shared with the Riviera GS.

MVC-018F.JPG

I just wish I could figure out why General Motors cannot or will not build cars like Brian's and Adam's. Don't have to be outsized like the early 70s cars, just design something with some style like these have!

You can look at them and instantly identify them as Buick. I can see: sweepspears, portholes, massive toothy grillework- I can even see elements of the gorgeous 1962 tail-end styling.

As it is, it is impossible to tell a new Buick from any other rounded jellybean of a car unless you can find the Buick nameplate. Baah. The 90s baby Skylark had more Buick identity than anything had had in a long long time.

By the way Brian- thanks for the large pic of your Formal Coupe's rear window treatment. I had wondered exactly what that looked like.

Adam, the stripe was known as the "Centurion Paint Stripe", and it was a seldom seen option that is original to this car. The stripe option was available on Centurions for all three years of production. It was painted on the '71 and '72 models, and I believe that it was a modern tape stripe on the '73 models. The striping provided some nice design continuity with the predecessor Wildcats; the '67 through '70 Wildcat Customs had beautiful paint stripes as well. My car is unusual in that it has the paint stripe but lacks the protective bodyside molding option, which was almost always seen on the '71 and newer full-size Buicks.

Your LeSabre sedan is a very striking car. Is this Twilight Turquoise or Tealmist Gray? Both colors were very beautiful and not terribly common.

Rocketraider, the Formal Coupe rear window treatment was similar to that used by Olds on the '71 and '72 Delta Royale coupes, but it is not identical to the Olds version.

This thread has taken an interesting turn! Hope that's okay with you all.

The color is Twilight Turquoise, I repainted it the original color...I liked it too much to change! I get lots of thumbs up when I drive it. Nobody ever believe's this is the original color. It's too bold I guess. That's why I like it!

It's interesting that your Centurion doesn't have the side moulding, but it's common to see those removed on restorations. I'm kinda partial to them, they add something to the car...make it more complete. I also like the custom/sleek look when they are absent. They make the car have a completely different look to it.

I am in the process of buying a 71 Centurion convertible from a guy in southern CA...nice car. I just need to get some more details on it before I make the 1800 mile trek....hopefully not to be disappointed. I might make this my Flint car if I can time it right!

One more thing, is your car completely original? or is it restored to original specs?

Adam

I hope my previous post wasn't too confusing because I'm not used to write in English (my first language is French). I know that the 70 Wildcat had a different interior than the Le Sabre Custom but in the previous years (64 to 69)the base Wildcat shared it's interior with the Le Sabre Custom. That's why in 70, to replace the less expansive base Wildcat, they came with the Le Sabre 455. You are right about the 70 Wildcat, It came only with the 455 but I did not say it has ever been available with the 350 engine. About the 400 and 455 badges it's true that their utilisation was cunfusing. The 455 badge always refered to displacement whether it was installed on 70 to 72 Le Sabre or 73 Centurion, in 70-72 GS or 73-74 Century. The 400 badge refered to displacement in the earlier GS and also in some 68 and 69 Sportwagons but it refered to the transmission in the 67 Sportwagon (they only had a 340 engine) and all 65 to 69 Le Sabres. I am not shure However if the 68-69 Sportwagon 400 had the 400 ci engine in standard equipment or as an option. (in the case it was an option the 400 badge would still refer to the transmission). I' m not even shure that the Sportwagon 400 had a 400 badge! I'd like if anybody who is more familiar with Sportwagons could clarify this to me!

This thread has strayed a bit (although the Centurion and LeSabre stuff is okay by me). Roberta and Philippe have it correct - the 400 badge indicates the ST400 transmission and indeed it did come with the 4 barrel 340 (I talked my parents into this on a new '66 they ordered in early '66 by reminding them how often I was putting dynaflows into my '54 Super and saying they might want a tougher transmission so my brothers and I would not crunch one in their new "baby."). A bullet proof engine/transmission combination that performed pretty well in a boat of a car.