Car Make? Model? Year?

DDWALLACE

Sure looks custom.........door handles look like early Rollston, body looks more like upstate New York builders.

• Like 1

The closest match I can find is a 1928 Packard Custom 443 Sedan-Limousine by Judkins, The Coachbuilt Packard by Hugo Pfau, page 134.  Caption mentions it was displayed at the November 1927 New York Salon, as well as used a rendering to illustrate their advertisement in the Salon catalogue.  The one feature which isn't visible in the photo are the bottom door corners sweep forward.   The headlight are later, maybe from the 1929 640 and 645. 

I think your comments are fine. I am not a Packard expert either, and when I first looked at this picture, I too wondered about the headlamps. I wasn't sure about the model year, but leaned toward '28. And like you, noticed the headlamps to be '29 style (I think?).

Changing headlamps on cars happened quite often back in the days. Consider that someone would buy a nice NEW Packard in 1928, only to see a few months later that they have changed the headlamps to a much more modern look! The rest of the car didn't change that much. A few bucks to the dealer wanting to keep his customers happy for a set of the new headlamps,and who is to know?

A long-time friend of mine has a Lincoln with exactly the same situation. The car is a well maintained mostly original car with history known since it was new. If I recall correctly, it is a '26 dual cowl phaeton, with '29 headlamps that have been on it since '29.

More than one dealership accessory display no doubt had a promotion to  "update your Packard to the modern look" with a set of the new parabolic style to replace the 'old-fashioned' drum headlights and cowl lights.   

The hood has doors, not louvers. Easy to change the lights.......the hood not so much. Sure looks like a 28 radiator......but I'm no Packard expert. Repost the photo on the CCCA Packard thread......they will ID it in a few hours.