NewOldWood

Power Wagon Woodie

1950 Power Wagon, records show that Campbell built the original wood body for it. None of the original wood was on the truck when it came to me. The owner wants to use it so I am going to build a body that resembles the original but with a few changes to improve functionality. The door openings were made wider, and the shape of the door pillars was carried back to the rear corners. Originally the rear corner posts were angled in but the outside was a straight line. I like the look of this better.

IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4052.JPG

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4059.JPG

IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

IMG_4102.JPG

IMG_4104.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:11 AM, NewOldWood said:

1950 Power Wagon, records show that Campbell built the original wood body for it.

The work is absolutely gorgeous, but do you mean 'Cantrell" body?  Or is it really a coachbuilder by the name of 'Campbell'?

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

The work is absolutely gorgeous, but do you mean 'Cantrell" body?  Or is it really a coachbuilder by the name of 'Campbell'?

Craig

Thanks.

Cantrell and Campbell were both coachbuilders. Not sure what else Cantrell built, but Campbell built a lot of bodies for Dodge (aside from Power Wagons), and quite a few for General Motors.

campbellbadge.jpg

Thanks for the information.

I'm not sure what work Cantrell did for Chrysler vehicles, but I do know U.S. Body & Forging made wood station wagon bodies for Dodge and Plymouth before the war.

Craig

The roof is going to be similar to the Campbell piece but I wanted to dress up the inside corners a bit. A rather odd shaped piece, in cases like this I make a scrap wood pattern just to get the shape then copy it to get the finished piece. The rear corners were simpler, carved them out by hand.

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

IMG_4224.JPG

IMG_4225.JPG

• Like 4

Crazy mad skills.  Glad you woke me up by posting in the general thread.  Tis a shame I've been missing out on your work before.