Frame swap

junkyardjeff

My 95 F150 has a very nice cab but a rusty frame where the rear bumper mounts,I have been wanting a 3/4 ton so I decided to build one and picked up a rolling F250 frame off Facebook marketplace. Today I went to a pull and pay and found front and rear sway bars and got them installed and this will be my spring project.  I do have a rust free bed and front fenders located but going to wait until this virus crap is over to buy since I might need the money to live on if I get laid off.

100_9975.JPG

100_9893.JPG

100_9967.JPG

100_9968.JPG

100_9970.JPG

• Like 2

Jeff,

Sorry, but I sound like a broken record, but you just live in the wrong part of the country. My utility truck (only truck) a 1994 F150 four wheel drive, with 160K miles on it, that was given to me. The body looks great, except for some dents, but car spent a few years in the Midwest, before it came to the PNW. But even with that few years of MW use, the superficial deterioration of the undercarriage is palpable. Nothing structural just surface rust, but most of our vehicles don't show much surface rust. The number of Craigslist listings are way down but I like this 1990.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/rochester-1990-ford-f250-custom-8-bed/7101907661.html

Bill

.I know I live in the wrong part of the country to find anything in this age decent so I am going to build a truck since I have a decent cab,I was wanting to get a better bed and front fenders but this virus crap is going to put the brakes on spending much money so I will reuse those parts for now and just get a new core support. I can not tow anything heavy due to the frame rust.

50 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Jeff,

Sorry, but I sound like a broken record, but you just live in the wrong part of the country. My utility truck (only truck) a 1994 F150 four wheel drive, with 160K miles on it, that was given to me. The body looks great, except for some dents, but car spent a few years in the Midwest, before it came to the PNW. But even with that few years of MW use, the superficial deterioration of the undercarriage is palpable. Nothing structural just surface rust, but most of our vehicles don't show much surface rust. The number of Craigslist listings are way down but I like this 1990.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/rochester-1990-ford-f250-custom-8-bed/7101907661.html

Bill

I came close to buying one from your area last fall but shipping it here would have got the cost too high for my budget.

That's a pretty good looking pick up Bill.

I don't need one but I would think that if one were back east and wanted a good NW pick up this one would be a good one to drive home.

Heres mine that I bought new, I suspect it will be my last pick up.

I only put that canopy on it for a weekend to keep some stuff dry.

20141216_131152.jpg

20141216_131330.jpg

When I get this project done one will show up in the condition I like and for what I was willing to pay,all I have found were 4x4s or extended cabs that I do not like since its useless to get a adult in the rear seat and they rust badly in the extended area. I want either a 2wd crew cab or a 2wd regular cab.

16 hours ago, junkyardjeff said:

I want either a 2wd crew cab or a 2wd regular cab.

Jeff, 2WD crew cab would be rare. And as luck would have it you are probably correct in one showing up after the work is done.

I didn't really need a 4WD but have found it to be handy a number of times.

Bill, I always enjoy a road trip. The journey is usually more fun than the destination.

I often hear of guys ferrying vehicles around the country to better markets, Don't know if it would make a living or not but from what I hear there aren't many rust free vehicles in many parts of the east.

A little rust can be interpreted quite differently depending on location.

• 4 weeks later...