Delco starter/generator,Buick??

sagefinds

Got this from a fellow that hauled a load to Chickasha,didn;t get the word it had been cancelled,and was on his way back to Oregon. It had a tag that said 1922-23 Franklin but I think it's Buick. I thought I had the number but I guess not and the thing is across town,it was low like MG 28 or 42,something like that. It does not have a cam in the distributor,by the size I'm guessing it was for a 6-Cyl. Any ideas?

IMG_7660.JPG

IMG_7661.JPG

While I appreciate all contributions to this,and dustycrusty's post was interesting,it didn't bring me any closer to finding the application of mine. My 13,15 and 18 Cadillac projects all have Delco starter/generators but all totally different than this one. I've had several Buick ones over the years but not in a long time. This one mounts like,I'm pretty sure,all those did but can't say for sure. And maybe other makes had similar mountings. So,who is Jason and what is AER? The number on mine is MG 42.

I can say with certainty that this is NOT a Buick Starter/Generator.  As was stated earlier, Delco made starting, lighting, and ignition systems for a whole lot of other vehicle manufacturers, but, this one just happens not to be a Buick unit.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

You can find Jason's number on the net.  There will be a part number on the unit that will allow him to identify.  I am sorry I wasn't more specific and you had to rely on an Australian.  He might even be interested in buying it.  If you ever need a stater-generator repaired he is the guy to do it.

The cap attachment looks to be the early style. They changed to a more conventional  " swing up " style pair of latches about 1921 - 22 era. But that does not really help very much. By the time Delco changed the cap attachment style,separate unit systems were rapidly gaining in popularity. So the majority of Delco SG's use this style.

You also might want to carefully examine the capacitor . The small box thing attached with 4 small screws, right at the front of the distributor section. If it is still the original Delco capacitor it will probably have a production date stamped into it somewhere.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Here are a couple more pics. The original tag said Franklin but my old electrical book says something else and not a motor generator. I was across town at my storage bldg. to get these pics but there are always other things to do down there and I forgot to look at the capacitor. The distributor is about 3" across. Almost looks like fresh covering over the windings.

IMG_7926.JPG

IMG_7927.JPG

2 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

The type of points it has indicate a 1915 or earlier date.  There aretwo point gaps to set on these.

This helps narrow it down. It's listed in this Delco document as being for a 1914 B36 or B37 Buick. MG stands for Motor-Generator and it's referenced on pages 9 & 10.

http://hudsonterraplane.com/tech/1915/1915CircuitsWiringDiagrams1910-15.pdf

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you have already figured this all out. My book shows a 1914 Buick  Models B-24, B-25, B-36 & B-37 taking a possibility of four different Delco Motor Generators. One of them being the model 42 that you indicate you have. It also could take a model 26, 33 or 40. It does have the two terminals out the side like on yours which is unique compared to most of the other Buick starter generators. Always happy to help if you need any other information. 

• Like 3