59 Edsel ranger

QuickhandsNewt

I have always loved the looks of the Edsel so when I had the opportunity to purchase one for me and my kids to work on I jumped on it. It is a 2 Dr ranger which is white with a copper top. How do I find which engine I have and is there any places to find tear down steps? Any help greatly appreciated!

• Like 3

Congrats they are good cars despite the reputation and comments you might get from people who don’t really know much about cars.  I have a 58 Pacer, if you’re on Facebook there are several Edsel focus groups but I recommend the Edsel Restoration and Preservation group there, a lot of very knowledgeable Edsel people and it’s pretty active.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I doubt you will find anything as granular as tear down steps for the whole car. You should start by getting a factory shop manual. I have not seen reprints for Edsel, but generally most shop manual reprints for most cars have lousy unusable photos. If the price difference isn't too severe, an original manual is probably worth spending some extra money.

Edsel engines were Ford six cylinders, Ford "Y-Block", Ford "FE" series V8s and Lincoln-Mercury "MEL" series V8s. Edsel versions in some (or maybe all) cases had slightly different engine displacements than other Ford Motor Company divisions.

On Ford products of that era, the engine was often painted one color (usually black), and the valve covers and air cleaner another color. The color of the valve covers and air cleaner told you which engine it was. A factory shop manual should have all this, and some information about decoding numbers too. Engines get replaced or repainted over the years, so the numbers might be the only way. If the engine is not original you might have to post the numbers in some Ford forums to figure it out.

Edited by Bloo
oops forgot the y block.... (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

It's a little more rough than these images. These were the ones he sent me before I bought it. It needs the rear Wells repaired from shotty Bondo, windshield has been leaking and the card kick panels are falling off, and right rocker is rusted through. All in all not bad shape. I can add more recent ones soon.

Screenshot_20200326-174753.png

Screenshot_20200326-174818.png

Screenshot_20200326-174841.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

I have this REPRINT book if you are interested.  About 60 pages.  $10 shipped in the USA.  Send me a Personal Message if interested

It's great how everyone helps each other out on the forum.

The pictured book, however, is labeled "1958," and Newt's

car is a 1959.  Do you have any other Edsel books, Terry?

No, just this one.  It actually has some info up through 1960 including a listing of special tools.  Just want to send it along to someone who might have a need.  I was hoping to be a Hershey vendor in my retirement and had stockpiled books and parts.  Parts are 99.9% gone, books about 50% gone.  I just can’t get to stuff at times to see what I have and post it for sale.  Hopefully more stuff in the future.

Hi Newt

Welcome to the forum.  You have found a great car for a lot of fun for your family.  Keep this as a rolling restoration.  You have plenty of weekend project you and your kids  can work together on and then enjoy the progress the next weekend.  Prioritize your projects from the most important (safely first) to the lesser items.  Tackle them one weekend at a time and your will get little rewards of satisfaction each week as they are done.  Your and your family can enjoy touring in an antique car and have the satisfaction of completing the last work you did on it.  Mini Rewards!  Resist the temptation for you and your kids jumping in and taking everything apart.  Trust me, you will end up with a pile of parts and a shell of a car that will be hauled to the scrap yard in a few years when you need the room in the garage.  Plan each of your projects so the car will be drivable at the end of the weekend  or two to three weekends at the most.  You will not loose interest this way.

Consider joining a local AACA region and National AACA.  You won't regret the information that will open up to you.

5 hours ago, Modeleh said:

Congrats they are good cars despite the reputation and comments you might get from people who don’t really know much about cars.  I have a 58 Pacer, if you’re on Facebook there are several Edsel focus groups but I recommend the Edsel Restoration and Preservation group there, a lot of very knowledgeable Edsel people and it’s pretty active.

I was going to suggest this same group as well. With just a photo of your dataplate they can tell you all kinds of info about the car, including, believe it or not, right down to the day it was actually built and the order of construction. Most likely they actually WILL be able to walk you through whatever mechanical work needs to be done.

I don't own an Edsel (yet) but it's a dream of mine as well. Congratulations on your purchase! 

• 2 years later...
On 3/26/2020 at 5:55 PM, QuickhandsNewt said:

It's a little more rough than these images. These were the ones he sent me before I bought it. It needs the rear Wells repaired from shotty Bondo, windshield has been leaking and the card kick panels are falling off, and right rocker is rusted through. All in all not bad shape. I can add more recent ones soon.

Screenshot_20200326-174753.png

Screenshot_20200326-174818.png

Screenshot_20200326-174841.png

Just joined this page.. have you made any progress? Would love to see!