Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

14 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Looks like the aftermath of a fire. Good thing that fireplug was right there!

With the fire 'right there', the heat would have been very intense, especially with the two biggest windows immediately in front of the hydrant blown out.  One wonders if the FD could have connected their hoses to it without getting barbequed.

Craig

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I had a scale model of that car back in the 1960's and wished it had survived.  

It made me do a bit of research on it in later years was rather disappointed that it didn't survive.  The triple berline/triple stagecoach body was interesting enough, as well as the extremely opulent interior (I believe photos of it were posted earlier in this thread, and here: Alin & Liautard Gregoire - COACHBUILD.com )   which would have been stripped out of it for ambulance duty.  It would be quite a showpiece today.

Craig    

This car was originally displayed with a detailed scale model. I wonder if that's still around and was what they used to make the scale model in the sixties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safir_(models)

AlinEtLiautardGSImage.jpg.d7899f67e605af18a3bb77007324f7dc.jpg

AlinEtLiautardGS.jpg.7a948d821812692c168fc698212a416c.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, John E. Guitar said:

This car was originally displayed with a detailed scale model. I wonder if that's still around and was what they used to make the scale model in the sixties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safir_(models)

AlinEtLiautardGSImage.jpg.d7899f67e605af18a3bb77007324f7dc.jpg

The scale model I owned was nowhere near that big as the one in the photo.  It was roughly the same size as a Matchbox "Models of Yesteryear" series, but it wasn't a Matchbox.  It may have been from the same model manufacturer as the vintage car models Union 76 stations were also selling at the time.  I received it as a surprise gift, and therefore; no idea where my dad acquired it.

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

The scale model I owned was nowhere near that big as the one in the photo.  It was roughly the same size as a Matchbox "Models of Yesteryear" series, but it wasn't a Matchbox.  I may have been from the same model manufacturer as the vintage car models Union 76 stations were also selling at the time.  I received it as a surprise gift, and therefore; no idea where my dad acquired it.

Craig

The Safir model was 1/43 scale:

https://www.minicarmuseum.com/historic/his_link.php?id=90

the Franklin with Cannon Ball Baker is a 1929 series 13 model 135 or 137. Baker is leaning against the spare tire . that is an accessory OVALITE under the left front headlamp.

I looked at the photo again, car does not have the regular issue headlamps made by Ryan ( Ryanlite) but possibly has Twilight headlamps that were first used in 1930 and continued on into 1932 for use ( most had 12 inch diameter headlamp lens)  . E.G. "Cannonball " Baker did cross country speed trips , held numerous records for that in the 1929-31 era non stop driving - he had a large bag of peanuts in their shells next to him on the front seat (he used as food) he also in the early days of the Franklin Club attended one of their annual "treks" in Syracuse, NY I believe in the 1950s. More useless information.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My wife's uncle and grandmother posing near their two tone green 1941 Buick. Not sure if it was a Special or Century.

U Ernest 41 Buick.jpg

M Tinkham 41 Buick.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/17/2020 at 10:12 AM, John_Mereness said:

121995690_1047856928997394_950798136592177510_o.thumb.jpg.a89965b0b16eb5ff891aadd1146c9669.jpg

On 10/17/2020 at 10:33 AM, Fossil said:

OK John what the heck is it????

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I'd been trying to identify this three-wheeler, or even the source of the photo, for some time. All I could figure out was the location (Crotona Park, The Bronx, NY). Well, I happened to stumble across this old post today and so now I've got to ask:

John, what the heck is it?