Period images to relieve some of the stress

Walt G

2 hours ago, George K said:

I don’t know. I’m liking the cheesed out chassis. What engine is in it? El Mirage maybe given the background.

It's an engine that was readily available but not generally well regarded or thought as a performance powerplant: H-Series Lincoln V-12.  Being relatively short-stroke (3.75") in the long-stroke era, they could withstand the higher rpm operation.  The 1942 and partial 1946 engines were bored to 2.9375 for 305 ci.  which produced 235 ft/lbs torque at 1800 rpm.  By the shadow of the carburetors, it appears as if this engine was fitted with an Edmunds dual carburetor intake manifold.  There is a section in the back pages of the book The Lincoln Continental by OCee Ritch describing various modifications to wring more performance out of those engines.  The most extreme is over-boring the block to 3.0625 and inserting sleeves for any cylinder wall opened into the cooling system or possibly too thin.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

It's an engine that was readily available but not generally well regarded or thought as a performance powerplant: H-Series Lincoln V-12.  Being relatively short-stroke (3.75") in the long-stroke era, they could withstand the higher rpm operation.  The 1942 and partial 1946 engines were bored to 2.9375 for 305 ci.  which produced 235 ft/lbs torque at 1800 rpm.  By the shadow of the carburetors, it appears as if this engine was fitted with an Edmunds dual carburetor intake manifold.  There is a section in the back pages of the book The Lincoln Continental by OCee Ritch describing various modifications to wring more performance out of those engines.  The most extreme is over-boring the block to 3.0625 and inserting sleeves for any cylinder wall opened into the cooling system or possibly too thin.

I was once told a story about a man who took his V-12 Lincoln to Zumbach’s to try to get some power out of it. After much work and $’s he reported that the only difference was the sound the engine made.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, George K said:

I was once told a story about a man who took his V-12 Lincoln to Zumbach’s to try to get some power out of it. After much work and $’s he reported that the only difference was the sound the engine made.

George K:

I don't doubt that's right, most of the modifications listed in the Ritch text were developed to overcome the engineering shortcomings inherent in the H-Series V-12.   Lincoln Continental owners were desperate to get more performance commensurate with the elegant, sporting looks of their rather heavy luxury cars, or at least make them less problematic.    I'd opine dry lake racers regarded the H-series V-12 as an inexpensive, possibly better alternative to the ubiquitous Ford flathead: something that would deliver high speed on the cheap.  Everyone knew the L-Z V-12 was essentially a Ford flathead with four more cylinders.   By the 1940's and later, junkyards were loaded with Lincoln-Zephyrs to source engines and their transmissions.   If someone blew up his V-12 motor, there were endless supplies of junkyard replacements.   Even Lincoln-Mercury dealers were glad to offload obsolete H-Series parts and used engines when the Lincoln EH and EL V8's became available.  

Steve

• Like 1

I had one years ago.  Drive a HV-12 like you would a Ford V8 from which it was derived:  Wind it out, don't expect torque at lugging speeds like other 12s of the 1930s.  The Ocee Ritch book had a lot of common-sense mods, mostly invisible, which addressed the engineering shortcomings of that engine.

• Like 3

On 5/25/2023 at 10:12 PM, George K said:

Probably rode just like a 1907 Chadwick. Your more likely to find out about the ride from a Cadillac guy circa 1914E127413D-819E-43D8-9EBA-D4D285024E4A.jpeg.a6f5c9cf22f1b08d85c6fdc5c7f4a296.jpeg62047E71-FE30-423F-8457-99AF104228EB.jpeg.0079264ee26994ded4bef33d14eaf10d.jpeg

Having been a 1914 Cadillac guy, I can say the ride is somewhat "interesting".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1