British Bobby and an American car.

Vintman

Hi Folks,

We have had another enquiry for identification we are having problems with.  Origin is UK but no history as to origin of the photo. Military driver and military personnel. Obviously some sort of parade with newsreel filming the event. No visible numberplate so no help in identifying country. However seems to have a British policeman on the right and car is RHD. Most peculiar type of headlamps are mounted on the wings, not a normal UK pattern, and there seem to be no separate sidelights, normally required by law in UK. However the car does not look British and wheels seem American. The hat of front passenger seems a Homberg ‘godfather’ hat, more usually associated with US.

Would much appreciate thoughts as to what it may be?

Regards

Vintman  (UK)

www.svvs.org

vehicle-3.jpg

I don't know what it is other than a reasonably small car. The headlight mounting appears to have been modified. It's hard to be sure from the photo but it looks like there are mounting holes lower on the RH. splash guard section of the front fender { wing }.

This would be the expected mounting location for any American car I can think of. 

Circa 1918, Maxwell, Dort or similar small car.

Greg in Canada

Both the driver and the passenger are wearing WWI British uniforms. The driver is an officer (you can tell by the rank insignia on his lower sleeve). I'd suspect the only the car is American. A lot of US cars and trucks were exported to Britain during the war...the Pierce Arrow and Peerless trucks come to mind and the British Red Cross used Buicks.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

Thanks to both. I now see the headlamps were moved as holes still on the side of the wing.  Have also looked in detail at Buicks and JVP may well be right with his suggestion of Buick. Has much in common with the 1919 H45.

Many thanks and Regards

Vintman (UK)

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 8:08 AM, 1912Staver said:

That's a much smaller car than a H45. If it a Buick it will be one of the 4 cyl. cars.

Greg in Canada

If so, it would be a McLaughlin-Buick, which was the source of export Buicks for the British Commonwealth market.

Craig

Yes , and it would have a McLaughlin rad badge that is shaped quite differently than a Buick. The one in the photo could be Buick { somewhat unlikely } but I would say definitely not McLaughlin.  A few Buicks may have ended up in the U.K.. I am sure a few U.S. tourists brought their cars with them.

Greg in Canada

c8d0dc8350bed965091742482d4571e9.jpg

4 hours ago, Leif Holmberg said:

No Buick of any kind.I would say Maxwell 1920-1921,take a look at the windshield stantion,the runningboard splaspan ,front frame very stright,radiator top shape,those things are very close to Maxwell.

I did think maybe it was a 'new' Buick four of 1922. The windshield stanchions are very similar. The one big difference is that the Buick has outside door handles and the Maxwell does not.

So yes, I think you are right with Maxwell.