Please help with dif

Julian Sepulveda

I am having a ridiculously hard time finding a gm 8.5 at the local junkyards where I'm from. I've checked other cities nearby and nothing. I need a 1968-1972 10 bolt 8.5 for my 70 skylark and the best I could find was an 8.5 out of a 77 cutlass, which I am now aware will not fit. I've been scouring the internet for the past few days trying to find a housing (I don't need the gears or anything like that) and I cant find anything in my price range (roughly 200 dollars, give or take a hundred bucks). Do you guys have any ideas? I'm getting kinda desperate. If I go down the route of making the 77 work, how much should I pay to get the fabrication done?

Edited by Julian Sepulveda (see edit history)

Most local parts yards won't have anything that old anymore.  Your best bet is to be patient and look for someone who is parting out a Skylark. Sooner or later one will turn up, they are still reasonably popular cars.  Most private sellers are going to sell the complete rear end, the price will probably be little more than just the housing. 

Greg in Canada

These cars are HALF A CENTURY old. You aren't going to find any in wrecking yards. Your best bet is a local swap meet, Craigslist, ebay, or a relevant on-line forum with classified ads. The 68-72 A-body cars are popular to restore, so people don't junk them, they part them out on line.

There's that place in Texas...CTC Auto Ranch I think. They have a huge inventory of stuff. I'm afraid that if you live farther away than Oklahoma, Louisiana or NM the shipping will be monstrous for a person on a budget. Best wishes in your search, though.