Mad Max GT Falcon Pursuit Special driven by Mel Gibson $5 Million ?

Australia's most famous car is up for grabs: Iconic GT Falcon 'Pursuit Special' driven by Mel Gibson in Mad Max goes on sale - and it could fetch $5MILLION

• The Ford XB Falcon 'Interceptor' from the Mad Max films is up for sale in the U.S.
  • It appeared in the first, second and most recent film Mad Max: Fury Road
  • Last month Steve McQueen’s Ford Mustang used in Bullitt sold for $4.93m
  • Despite the astounding estimated price it spent years in a junk yard rotting away

image.png.9950465a40563c367e8dad4b8ee486ea.png

• Like 1

If the "Bulllitt" Mustang only brought $3.4 million (no idea where they got their $4.93 million number above) there's no way this car will bring anywhere near as much. I think it's a lot cooler than the Bullitt Mustang, but it's also a lot less famous, a lot less noteworthy, a lot less attractive (front end--very cool; back end--WTF?), and with right-hand drive it's not going to be as appealing to US audiences.

Very cool, but if it breaks $1 million I'll be surprised.

5 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

If the "Bulllitt" Mustang only brought $3.4 million (no idea where they got their $4.93 million number above) there's no way this car will bring anywhere near as much.

From www.xe.com :

3,400,000 USD to AUD = 5,092,961.93 Australian Dollars

Craig

It's hard to guess what it'll bring. The Mad Max movies as a series were far more popular than Bullitt, which was made 50 years ago and - aside from the famous car chase scene - is mostly out of the memory of the movie going public. IMO, it wasn't that great of a movie when you remove the Mustang/Charger part. OTOH, the sometimes outrageous off screen behavior of Mad Max' star may make the Falcon less appealing to wealthy car buyers...(or maybe more appealing??)

Even if I could afford them, I think I'd rather have Dan Blocker's '57 Turnpike Cruiser for 25 grand than either of those cars for those insane prices.

I will always remember seeing Road Warrior first run in a NYC Times Square theatre. It starts with a small black and white frame showing scenes from Mad Max with tinny old-time sound, then shifts suddenly to a widescreen color shot of the windshield and hood of this car racing away. Mel pulls the lever on the shifter and the supercharger kicks in surround sound stereo. To this day if this movie is on I try to watch the beginning for that one shot!

Still not paying five million though.

23 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

I like how they're being chased by the bad guys at high speed, the dog just yawns and hops in the back for a nap.  :D

I forgot about the dog! He was great!😄

The car chasing him also looks like a Falcon, but with a different front end. (Neither may have the stock front end.)

BTW, a few weeks ago I was educated a little about these Falcons (and other Australian cars) by a kindly Aussie member at another forum. According to him, they didn't have specific model years in much or most of the Australian car market. So when this car is advertised as a "1974 XB Falcon," apparently the 1974 refers to when the car was made, as opposed to in the US, where a "1974" designates an identifiable model year that might be made in late '73 and would've ended before 1974 was over.

Instead, the Australians apparently had identifiable series of cars that typically went on more than a year (2 or 3 years, maybe.) That's what the "XB" stands for. Maybe Australians here can expand on that. The Aussie Falcons of that era are among the nicest looking muscle cars of either country, IMO.

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)

Yes: only model name. Not the year the model started.

I have owned an XA and had an XC as a company car

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(XA)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(XB)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(XC)

• Like 1