1st Gen rear set center arm rest

Devjas

Looking to buy center rear arm rest in decent shape for my 65 Riv. I know these are very hard to find but it doesn't hurt to ask the community...

If anyone knows of someone out there that I can contact it would be much appreciated....

65 armrest.jpg

As an ROA member you have access to the classifieds in the Riview.  Vendors like Gene Guarnere, Riviera Bob Stemm, Larry Daisey, Steve Lorenzen, and others do a great business of providing hard to find parts for first generation Rivieras.  You can also post a wanted ad in the Riview; those ads reach a lot more readers than this forum.

Thanks for your replies...

The interior of my car is Black and did not originally come with a Center armrest, Does this really mean I would have to do major modifications as Steelman claims...or would it be just a bolt on as telriv says.?

Hey RivNut, I will definitely take your advise and run a wanted ad in the Riview if I don’t get any bites here on the forum....

1 hour ago, Pat Curran said:

They go right in without any modifications.  I have installed them in several cars over the years.  Be sure to get the filler panel that goes under the speaker grill as it is a different size (smaller) than the regular one.  

As the guys above said, bolt in for 64 & 65. Would need major modification to add to a 63 or you would need to swap in a 64 or 65 seat bottom in case anyone is thinking of adding to a 63. I found this out the hard way. I restored a center armrest over the winter a few years ago to put in my 63 thinking it was a bolt in. Very disappointed when I saw that it was not a bolt in. My fault for not looking my seat over first. I decided it was too much trouble and sold it. Probably not too bad for someone with welding skills. 

Bill

51 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

As the guys above said, bolt in for 64 & 65. Would need major modification to add to a 63 or you would need to swap in a 64 or 65 seat bottom in case anyone is thinking of adding to a 63. I found this out the hard way. I restored a center armrest over the winter a few years ago to put in my 63 thinking it was a bolt in. Very disappointed when I saw that it was not a bolt in. My fault for not looking my seat over first. I decided it was too much trouble and sold it. Probably not too bad for someone with welding skills. 

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I guess I was thinking about your adventure when I made my earlier post. So to clarify, not a direct bolt in for a 63.

I happen to have a comparison reference photo of a `63 and `65 seat frame. It appears that if one added some flat steel to the `63 frame that the lift up armrest would bolt on just like the `65 seat frame...but this is not correct. The dimension in the center section of the `65 seat frame is actually wider than the `63 frame so that if one wanted to install the armrest in the `63 frame one would need to drill mounting holes in the rails of the `63 frame to match the dimension between the mounting holes of the `65 frame. It can be done but the area where the holes must be drilled in the `63 frame is not flat, but semi circular, so care needs to be exercised when locating and drilling the holes.

Also, not only is the grain in the `64 seat vinyl different as compared to the `65 models, but the grain which is embossed into the metal base and filler panel of the lift up armrest is different also.

And just a word of warning...I have encountered `64 rear seat frames which appear to be identical to the `63 seat frame in this picture. Such is the case with a `64 I have in my shop now and I can guarantee no one has ever played games swapping seat frames in and out of this car...VERY original car...????

Tom Mooney

`63-`65 from above.jpg

3 hours ago, Devjas said:

Thanks for your replies...

The interior of my car is Black and did not originally come with a Center armrest, Does this really mean I would have to do major modifications as Steelman claims...or would it be just a bolt on as telriv says.?

Hey RivNut, I will definitely take your advise and run a wanted ad in the Riview if I don’t get any bites here on the forum....

Claudio,

I`ll take a look at the stash to see if I have a `65 armrest...pretty sure I have a black `64 but maybe not a `65 armrest?

Tom

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

I happen to have a comparison reference photo of a `63 and `65 seat frame. It appears that if one added some flat steel to the `63 frame that the lift up armrest would bolt on just like the `65 seat frame...but this is not correct. The dimension in the center section of the `65 seat frame is actually wider than the `63 frame so that if one wanted to install the armrest in the `63 frame one would need to drill mounting holes in the rails of the `63 frame to match the dimension between the mounting holes of the `65 frame. It can be done but the area where the holes must be drilled in the `63 frame is not flat, but semi circular, so care needs to be exercised when locating and drilling the holes.

Also, not only is the grain in the `64 seat vinyl different as compared to the `65 models, but the grain which is embossed into the metal base and filler panel of the lift up armrest is different also.

And just a word of warning...I have encountered `64 rear seat frames which appear to be identical to the `63 seat frame in this picture. Such is the case with a `64 I have in my shop now and I can guarantee no one has ever played games swapping seat frames in and out of this car...VERY original car...????

Tom Mooney

`63-`65 from above.jpg

Tom,

It is not as simple as just drilling holes carefully. That is what I was led to believe when I bought my armrest. As you can see there are two cross braces in the 63 seat frame which if I remember correctly are arched. This does not allow the center armrest to sit where it should. Again, if I remember correctly these would need to be flattened/removed and reworked then plates added with holes drilled for the attachments as the side rails are not wide enough on the 63 frame to match up with the armrest holes. Believe me, after all of the work I put in to refurbishing that armrest I looked very hard and long as to what it would take to make it work.

Bill

15 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Tom,

It is not as simple as just drilling holes carefully. That is what I was led to believe when I bought my armrest. As you can see there are two cross braces in the 63 seat frame which if I remember correctly are arched. This does not allow the center armrest to sit where it should. Again, if I remember correctly these would need to be flattened/removed and reworked then plates added with holes drilled for the attachments as the side rails are not wide enough on the 63 frame to match up with the armrest holes. Believe me, after all of the work I put in to refurbishing that armrest I looked very hard and long as to what it would take to make it work.

Bill

Hi Bill,

When I took that pic I posted, I also took pics of the dimension between the `65 holes and placed them over the `63 seat rails as a demonstration because I was answering an inquiry from another member. I was going to post those pics but frankly they would probably be more confusing as compared to using a little imagination and the one pic I posted. I have found the `65 holes fall over the `63 rails. The bottom of the armrest base is slightly concave already and flattening the crown in the seat frame (I slice material out of the projected/folded crown and then flatten it, but various methods will work) produces what I think is an aesthetically acceptable installation. But that`s just me...everybody`s experience and judgement is a little different.

Tom

9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Bill,

When I took that pic I posted, I also took pics of the dimension between the `65 holes and placed them over the `63 seat rails as a demonstration because I was answering an inquiry from another member. I was going to post those pics but frankly they would probably be more confusing as compared to using a little imagination and the one pic I posted. I have found the `65 holes fall over the `63 rails. The bottom of the armrest base is slightly concave already and flattening the crown in the seat frame (I slice material out of the projected/folded crown and then flatten it, but various methods will work) produces what I think is an aesthetically acceptable installation. But that`s just me...everybody`s experience and judgement is a little different.

Tom

Tom,

Have you actually taken an armrest and just drilled holes and made it fit the 63 seat frame? I don't think so. There is no way the rail on the 63 seat frame is wide enough to drill holes and have the armrest fit. Again, the extra brace and arching makes a fit impossible. Plates also have to be added with the mounting holes. As stated in my previous post I said that some reconstruction and/or the replacement of the seat bottom with a 64/65 seat bottom would be necessary to make it work. I did not say it was impossible but, problematic. I guess that offering possible solutions to make it work is not using ones imagination. My only intent was to give a 63 owner the benefit of my personal experience and let them know that this install is not as simple as it may seem. This project can be a significant output of time and money so knowing what is ahead for someone contemplating this project is important.

Bill

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Tom,

Have you actually taken an armrest and just drilled holes and made it fit the 63 seat frame? I don't think so. There is no way the rail on the 63 seat frame is wide enough to drill holes and have the armrest fit. Again, the extra brace and arching makes a fit impossible. Plates also have to be added with the mounting holes. As stated in my previous post I said that some reconstruction and/or the replacement of the seat bottom with a 64/65 seat bottom would be necessary to make it work. I did not say it was impossible but, problematic. I guess that offering possible solutions to make it work is not using ones imagination. My only intent was to give a 63 owner the benefit of my personal experience and let them know that this install is not as simple as it may seem. This project can be a significant output of time and money so knowing what is ahead for someone contemplating this project is important.

Bill

Morning Bill,

As I stated everyone`s experience is always a little different. My reference to the holes was not an indication that the project was as simply as just adding the holes but that the holes can be created without adding to the seat frame. Everyone`s skill set is a little...or ALOT different so after 40 plus years as a tech maybe I overestimate typical skills. having said that, I did qualify creating the holes as potentially challenging.

Here is a thread I found while doing a little research regarding my statement that some `64 Riv seat frames may not have the "`65 type" rear seat frame...my guess is the lift up armrest option may have been added at some point in the `64 model year or Buick was running out what was left of the `63 type seat frames unless the option was specifically ordered:

I`ll post the pics I have loaded of the dimensions as they apply from the `65 type frame to a `63 frame for anyone who is contemplating whether or not this project is within their skill set. When taking the pics I used the 2 inch mark as a baseline because it was the only way to hold the tape measure and the camera all at once. I`ll post the `65 seat frame first because I`m likely to go over the max size. As a comparison `63 seat frame in the next post:

`64 dimensions 1.jpg

`64 dimensions 2.jpg

`64 dimensions 3.jpg