electric pump woes

2nevets

OK fellas another dilemma 
When it rains it pours
I replaced the electric 12 volt pump on my 38 desoto with a universal carter because the pump was too loud 
anyway,  that pump lasted a day-so I put in another and that lasted the same-they are wired thru a relay-they have a filter on the inlet side of the pump-I also have a inline regulator installed-would running too low a pressure burn them out? I have it set on 2lbs
or is it a china thing? the tank is new and it plastic so its not rust jamming the pump
Thanks again for any insight

28 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Where did you mount the fuel pump? Is it nearer to the tank or the engine?

Good point by keiser31, its possible that your pump is running dry, not priming. The fuel is used to keep the pump cool.

I use a $10 Chinese pump from ebay, I carry a spare in the trunk just in case, however it has out lasted the expensive Facet pump so far, Facet leaked after 12 months of use.

Silly question, is the pump facing in the right direction?

Edited by maok (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, maok said:

I use a $10 Chinese pump from ebay, I carry a spare in the trunk just in case, however it has out lasted the expensive Facet pump so far, Facet leaked after 12 months of use.

Silly question, is the pump facing in the right directly?

yup

going to put the mechanical on tomorrow with an electric backup on a toggle

It appears your fuel pump needs an outlet to relieve its own internal pressure . It seems to be overloading it self.  The line pressure  regulator is set too low.  I assume the carburetor is a downdraft. YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET SOME ADVICE FROM CARB KING AS TO A SUITABLE replacement CARB if possible

Is your 38 De Soto 12 volts ? I thought 12 volts made it way in the early 50's ? Except Dodges 1916, 17 and 18. To your original question . the pump will push 2  to 4 lbs so eventually it reaches 4 lbs. the line regulator is set at 2lbs. So there is a difference of 2 lbs in the pump. The pump should have a relief valve internally to relieve the extra pressure. If the pump pressure does not relieve at 2 lbs to coordinate with the line choke it is obvious the 2 lb build up will cause the pump to heat up. Protect it with a breaker fuse.

For years British Lucas uses an electrical fuel pump  in Morris Minor and other British cars  Both 6 and 12 volts. When the fuel bowl is empty it is possible to hear the tic, tick. When the bowl is full the pump stops operating until the fuel level in the bowl drops, and then there is a tick or two to maintain bowl level. It is good idea to explore.Check with Moss Motors and consult members of the MGB club of  America. Learning is a life long experience. Please do not chastise me for my opinion. It is just my thought.

18 hours ago, 2nevets said:

OK fellas another dilemma 
When it rains it pours
I replaced the electric 12 volt pump on my 38 desoto with a universal carter because the pump was too loud 
anyway,  that pump lasted a day-so I put in another and that lasted the same-they are wired thru a relay-they have a filter on the inlet side of the pump-I also have a inline regulator installed-would running too low a pressure burn them out? I have it set on 2lbs
or is it a china thing? the tank is new and it plastic so its not rust jamming the pump
Thanks again for any insight

I am guessing it could do with a return line . My system uses one.

Ben