Battery polarity

Edz

Assuming the charging system components are either 1938 or 1946 Ford,  In my opinion...

1) Make sure the battery is not charged backwards.

2) Make sure no relay(s) are stuck inside the voltage regulator (or cutout).

3) Hook it up positive ground.

4) Polarize the generator before you attempt to start the engine.

That should make sure the charging system doesn't burn up when the engine starts.

You mentioned a short though, what is actually happening?

Thanks Bloo,

the car is hooked up positive ground . It starts and runs great just when I park it the battery draws down over night . There must be a short somewhere in the system.  I’ll just keep looking.

DIsconnect your ground cable from the battery, and connect a small 6v bulb IN SERIES with what you disconnected. A test light with a 6v bulb would be real convenient, but most people don't have that handy. The smaller the better, a taillight (not brake) would work but a small dashlamp bulb would be way better.

Connect the bulb base to the post and the bulb tip to cable you removed (or vise versa). A socket would sure help. In any event make the current flow THROUGH the bulb filament to get from the post to cable. If you have a current draw like that running your battery dead the bulb should glow.

Do not turn the ignition on or try to start the car. Make sure the dome light is out.

Disconnect stuff to make your test light go out. I would start by disconnecting the wire going to the generator. I would disconnect the harness from the cutout (if it is still a cutout), or the ARM or GEN terminal at the regulator if it has the 1946 charging system.

Does it have an electric clock? They are notorious for having the points stick. Disconnect it. Other likely trouble spots are the glovebox light not shutting off (if it has one), and any underhood or trunk lights. If it has any of this stuff, make sure it is shutting off. Pull any fuses it has, one by one.

Keep an eye on the test light during all of this. When it goes off, you found the trouble circuit. If it wont go off for any of those, then get out the wiring diagram, and by process of elimination, figure out which things are live all the time (with the ignition off), and determine which have not been disconnected yet. Try those. There won't be many left. Good luck.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Also, your battery may have had enough. Disconnect the ground terminal over night to see if the battery holds its charge. If not, check the water, if low top up and see how it goes, but it maybe time for a new one.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Edz said:

Those old bullet conectors rattle lose .

Loose connectors would not drain your battery.  They could cause something to work intermittently.

13 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Loose connectors would not drain your battery.  They could cause something to work intermittently.

Loose connections can cause a battery to explode if enough hydrogen gas has formed. I had one explode just as I hit the starter, made a BIG mess. I'm glad I had water and a box of Arm&Hammer baking soda handy and close!

Bloo is on target. Get an old socket and install a #53 bulb in it with two leads.. attach one lead to the battery wire (disconnect from battery) and the other lead to the battery post. That is in series. If there is a drain the lamp will glow. Isolate one component at a time  until the lamp goes off. That circuit is the culprit. One Precaution. Working on a problem, tired and sweaty, does not help. Leave the stupid thing alone and come back at it next day. What have been bothering you for hours , you will be able to fix in a few minutes. It works for me.

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff I have it hooked up positive ground, but something is draining the battery down over night . I’ll just have to keep looking. Those old bullet conectors rattle lose 

Thanks for everyone’s help and great tips. I am working on it a day at a time

Loose connections do not drain batteries. They can cause them to not charge. 

Trini's bulb testing method works on most all old cars. It is an old electrician's trick. 

• Like 1