What is Gyro-poise

RivNut

Ed, good day.

Not sure if this helps, but a quick google search found a similar ad in the  October 1964 Popular Science with similar albeit slightly different text...

"And, oh yes, the suspension, No corkscrewing. Buick's new "gyro-poise" roll control sees to that. Plenty of science though. Each of the 8 rear bushings is specially tuned. Just like you'd tune your sports car."

Later,

Mike Swick

Edmonton, AB

---

1195238199_ScreenShot2019-11-10at7_47_00AM.png.59c761fa37a12d62f10f160d5b31e93e.png

Having re-read it again, the "gyro-poise" is within the same set of (  ) that the terms "firmer suspension" also appear. Could it be a reference to the H2 suspension package.  I would also think that Buick wound not have liked this ad because without the gyro-poise, your new Buick is going to corkscrew it's way down the road.

My guess is that somebody in Buick's advertising agency had a gyropoise turntable at home and thought the

name sounded cool and sophisticated and integrated it into their advertising. I noticed on the turntable that the name was a registered trademark so I wonder

if Buick had to pay them to use the term? This "gyropoise"term reminds me of the "Wonder Touch" power steering on my 69 GTO! Also

reminds me of the "Radial Tuned Suspension" on my Firebird Trans Am. These are all BS advertising terms for the same old stuff they had been doing for years. I'm trying to envision a car "corkscrewing" I would assume that means it is spinning around and around? The "gyropoise" term sounds a lot more desirable than saying we increased the diameter of the front sway bar by 1/8 inch!

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

My guess is that somebody in Buick's advertising agency had a gyropoise turntable at home and thought the

name sounded cool and sophisticated and integrated it into their advertising. I noticed on the turntable that the name was a registered trademark so I wonder

if Buick had to pay them to use the term? This "gyropoise"term reminds me of the "Wonder Touch" power steering on my 69 GTO! Also

reminds me of the "Radial Tuned Suspension" on my Firebird Trans Am. These are all BS advertising terms for the same old stuff they had been doing for years. I'm trying to envision a car "corkscrewing" I would assume that means it is spinning around and around? The "gyropoise" term sounds a lot more desirable than saying we increased the diameter of the front sway bar by 1/8 inch!

They certainly came up with names to make the feature more marketable and to make you think you were getting something a whole lot more.  Buick had "accu-drive" in 1969 and it was billed as something "revolutionary."  Once you dig into it, you will find that it is basically a change in camber geometry.  Was it an improvement?  Yes.  Was it revolutionary?  No.

• Like 1