Tool box for 1925 Chrysler 58 touring

marbeton

I could not find where my 1925 Chrysler 58 with bodywork touring had a jack and tools. There were probably curtains under the front seat, but there was another one or two boxes for the jack and tools I couldn't find. Can you advise me, or even send photos or a sketch of where they are and what they look like? Probably coach and sedan will be in the same place.
I also need to know if there was any cover on the front floor or just wood and lacquered. There was probably a cover at the back floor. Suppose rubber.
Thank you very much for your help.

marbeton

Under the front seats I found the remains of the box, so I know about it. Depending on the depth, however, it can only fit the curtains.
I couldn't find anything under the back seats, so there might be something there. Nothing in the floor in front of the rear seats? I would like to have everything exactly according to the original, as it was made in 1925 and therefore I look for any details. Thanks for the help.
marbeton

Hi Marbeton,

I restored a very original 1927 Model 50 tourer about 30 years ago, it was a Detroit USA built car. I would assume that the model 58 would be very similar.

Under the front seat was a metal pan with 6 reinforcing "ribs", it was not very deep, perhaps 3/4 to 1 inch deep and if my memory recalls correctly this was nailed along the sides to the wooden frame. Not sure what was stored in this tray, but I don't think it was to hold the side curtains.

On the back of the front seat there was a " pocket " about 1&1/2 inch deep, I'm fairly sure that held the sidescreens.

Under the back seat was a metal panel with an "L" shaped tray in it, that I assumed held the Jack and split rim tool. Often these panels rotted out and were replaced with a piece of ply wood. At the time I also had a 28 model 52 tourer and I had a guy making me a tray to replace the one missing from this car, sadly he never finished it completely and bits got cut off of it. I think I still have its butchered remains. I will look tomorrow and see if it is still around. 

Both the 27 & 28 cars I had were missing their original front wood floorboards so not sure if the picture below of a 1926 Model G70 is correct for your car. I stand to be corrected, but I think the front floor of your car was probably covered in linoleum, the part behind the front seat was often different and may have been carpeted or rubber. 

I will scan some pictures of the body and floor wood in the next few days,

Viv.

1926 model G70 front floor

image.thumb.png.830fbed0642b4de80f4ebe4ade1eb94c.png

Model G70 underneath showing the front pan at the bottom of the photo. The rear pan on this car appears to have been replaced with wood.

image.png.c3775af42d5b6cfaf4f74723ec636631.png

Model 60 front under seat pan, not sure if the seat riser in this pic is correct but the pan looks right.

image.thumb.png.8e0491635e19d8b6781cfb4cde1449b5.png

This is an unrestored first year Chrysler displaying tool compartments in the drivers door, which probably is how it was for all 24/25. Unfortunately I showed this to my upholsterer who thought it was a good idea and made a similar arrangement for my 1929. His solution is rattling all over the place, the door is very heavy, and I have my proper tools in a tool box on the floor. Your choice, correct or practical.

193534137_CRdrmapper24.jpg.f2aa20fbd004fb0495a06eab19c42886.jpg

As a side comment, I have a '31Pierce phaeton with tool pockets in door.  As mentioned, makes door way too heavy, guess it was ok back then but no way I'm putting 20 pounds of tools in the door, plus weight of metal inner door.

neat feature, just not as practical as it sounds....

8 hours ago, viv w said:

Hi Marbeton,

I restored a very original 1927 Model 50 tourer about 30 years ago, it was a Detroit USA built car. I would assume that the model 58 would be very similar.

Under the front seat was a metal pan with 6 reinforcing "ribs", it was not very deep, perhaps 3/4 to 1 inch deep and if my memory recalls correctly this was nailed along the sides to the wooden frame. Not sure what was stored in this tray, but I don't think it was to hold the side curtains.

On the back of the front seat there was a " pocket " about 1&1/2 inch deep, I'm fairly sure that held the sidescreens.

Under the back seat was a metal panel with an "L" shaped tray in it, that I assumed held the Jack and split rim tool. Often these panels rotted out and were replaced with a piece of ply wood. At the time I also had a 28 model 52 tourer and I had a guy making me a tray to replace the one missing from this car, sadly he never finished it completely and bits got cut off of it. I think I still have its butchered remains. I will look tomorrow and see if it is still around. 

Both the 27 & 28 cars I had were missing their original front wood floorboards so not sure if the picture below of a 1926 Model G70 is correct for your car. I stand to be corrected, but I think the front floor of your car was probably covered in linoleum, the part behind the front seat was often different and may have been carpeted or rubber. 

I will scan some pictures of the body and floor wood in the next few days,

Viv.

1926 model G70 front floor

image.thumb.png.830fbed0642b4de80f4ebe4ade1eb94c.png

Model G70 underneath showing the front pan at the bottom of the photo. The rear pan on this car appears to have been replaced with wood.

image.png.c3775af42d5b6cfaf4f74723ec636631.png

Model 60 front under seat pan, not sure if the seat riser in this pic is correct but the pan looks right.

image.thumb.png.8e0491635e19d8b6781cfb4cde1449b5.png

Hi Viv,
the box under the front seat has been renovated, as can be seen in your photo. Luckily there were some leftovers and I did it accordingly. Now I have the curtains stored.
I already have the pocket on the back of the front seat, but it's only for some small things. There's definitely no jack.
The most important help for me is the box under the back seat. Nothing has been preserved, so your information is important. I had no idea that in addition to the jack there was a rim split tool. If you found some leftovers you could send me their photo with dimensions, it would help me a lot. Also the information that the front and back floor had other materials is important to me. Because it is an open body, there was certainly no carpet, but rather rubber. I've seen a few photos  from other cars, where the front floor is only wooden, so I probably do it as well and the back floor will be covered with rubber.
Thanks a lot for your help.

9 hours ago, Narve N said:

This is an unrestored first year Chrysler displaying tool compartments in the drivers door, which probably is how it was for all 24/25. Unfortunately I showed this to my upholsterer who thought it was a good idea and made a similar arrangement for my 1929. His solution is rattling all over the place, the door is very heavy, and I have my proper tools in a tool box on the floor. Your choice, correct or practical.

193534137_CRdrmapper24.jpg.f2aa20fbd004fb0495a06eab19c42886.jpg

The location in the door is interesting, I have not seen anywhere and I did not know about it.When I renovated the front door, so their wooden frame remained original, but no remnants of any construction I saw there. But as you write, there would be only complications (weight, rattling) and I probably will not do this.
In the original picture it is written that coutains were in pockets in three doors. Somehow I can not imagine how they fit, when there should be 5 pieces and a load-bearing structure to open the door with courtains. I'd rather stay with the box under the front and back seats. Thanks for the help.

8 hours ago, trimacar said:

As a side comment, I have a '31Pierce phaeton with tool pockets in door.  As mentioned, makes door way too heavy, guess it was ok back then but no way I'm putting 20 pounds of tools in the door, plus weight of metal inner door.

neat feature, just not as practical as it sounds....

Yes your right, the weight is the big problem.

Interesting pictures of the tools and comment about the side curtains, maybe your model 58 might have had this early feature? and possibly Chrysler discontinued it in later models?

Both the model 50 and model 52 tourers that I restored had the original door upholstery still on them, neither of them had tools like that in the doors, but they both had pockets in ALL four doors. I used them to carry cleaning rags, spare fan belt, small tools, spare plugs etc and the pockets were always useful for a jersey or lightweight coat. I never considered the door pockets for side curtain storage and wonder if this was right?

The model 50 had a storage compartment in the right hand side cowl kick panel, it was empty when the car came to me but may have been for tool storage. The model 52 did not have this cowl panel feature.

I never had original side curtains but found a drawing showing what they looked like, I was able to estimate the sizes from scale drawings and had some made up, they fitted into the pocket behind the front seat when not in use, but you had to get all four in together as it was a snug fit.

Looking for pics tonight to scan.

viv.

As others have said, the most popular floor covering for cars at the time was linoleum. It is the old fashioned, thick kind known as 'battleship linoleum'. It went out of fashion when more modern floor coverings came along in the fifties and sixties. But is still made for schools, hospitals, offices and industry.

The Below picture is a drivers door on a G70 tourer, with the tool compartment closed. Don't know if the Model 58 had this feature, but model 50 and 52 that I owned just had an ordinary pocket

image.png.6125b790fb41c87761ad8932a15db190.png

Below is the Model 50 RHD that I restored, The pocket in the front cowl panel was copied exactly as per the original that was in this one owner 12000 mile car. I did this in 1982 so trying to remember, but I think there was a small panelboard box insert probably to hold tools.

image.thumb.png.01d6ca0a3cf59d0093a094dcd19e044b.png

Below is the front seat back on the model 50, again we copied the original upholstery exactly to the pattern, it WAS carpeted half way up the back as shown with piping at the top of the carpet, and the silver dots were NOT screws but split rivets to hold it in place to the metal seat frame. I cant remember but suspect the rivets may originally have been black. We used nickle ones as that was all that we could find.

image.thumb.png.9f8f948725e3817bca18d2991cdd5f0c.png

Below are some pictures of the Model 50 woodwork, copied from the original wood.

image.thumb.png.b42b6d9217cb1e2397c17b67e96ea9cb.png

Hope these pictures are of interest to you and perhaps others restoring these cars,

Viv

If there are courtains (6 pieces) in boxes in three doors, then I do not know how to look right. For every door that has to open with courtains, there should be some load-bearing structure. I made something up according to other manufacturers, because I do not know how to look right, but the supporting structure I do not fit into the boxes in the door. That's why I have them all stored in a box under the front seat.
When I bought the car, the upholstery of the door was already rebuilt several times, so I just copied it and in the front door I made a small box for small things down. On the back of the front seat were the remains of the original box and bracket for getting up from the seat and I did the original. Maybe during the winter break, I can even make the boxes in the door to make it look original. If someone else has more pictures, it would help me make them right. Boxing under the back seat I will do this week. It will be just a simple box. During the renovation I made an even smaller box for jack and tools in the floor in front of the back seat. I will probably keep it there because it is easier to access them.
And finally, as I searched for the details of my car, I discovered that Chrysler had called his two types six and four since the start of production. Only in December 1925 is renamed the B-70 and 58. So my car should be correctly labeled as Chrysler four. It was made in September 1925. The radiator is also emblem marked four. Marking 58 was only from the year 1926. Do I have the right information?

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1368.JPG

Hi Marbeton,

I found the cut up remains of a pan we were making that goes under the rear seat, we never finished it and cut a big piece out the left side. I have put a sheet of blue painted steel  to draw onto to show the rest of the missing part, and what it should look like. The line across the blue panel  marks the bottom of the panel, the piece underneath the horizontal line on the blue is not part of this pan. Also please note the louvres and hole on the blue are not part of the pan you need to make.

The domed upward centre was directly above the differential, about 8 inches in diameter and raised about 1/4 inch in the middle of this shallow dome. The 3 "ribs" were all the same length, they were identical in size and width to the ones on the pan under the front seat. 

As you look at the below picture, the top where it is marked 30" goes to the back of the vehicle. Sorry I cannot confirm the overall size of this panel, as it was only partly made, but I can confirm the 6" and 3" measurements on the right hand side and the right bottom of the picture are correct. The left side had not been cut to size, so you will have to work out the total width and length from your car.

Looking at the size and shape of the trough, I assumed this was to fit a split rim tool, the jack and perhaps other tools. Maybe someone else may know more.

Regards Viv

1475339278_rearpan2.thumb.JPG.9dfe7ce7eab24b16e06cd4caf24bf324.JPG

1069293304_rearpan3.thumb.JPG.9da2a3f2f42428f7eadd97bea89bc6cb.JPG

1913006838_rearpan4.thumb.JPG.ffb143f4bdc7b57bc347543406140e69.JPG

1244122417_rearpan5.thumb.JPG.13c83e8d4309b74afcbd959c985eff35.JPG

2138821002_rearpan.thumb.JPG.ceb775242e8210c7f51f2206933b77a7.JPG

Hi Viv,
thank you for the photos and dimensions. I'll do something like that, too. Just for the differential I will make a small elevation, as I have in the box in the floor in front of the rear seat. However, this is because the rubber hardy clutch on cardan
interfered all the way up. I hope I translated the word correctly.😀 I also enclose photos of my boxing solution in the floor in front of the back seat with separate box for jack.

marbeton

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1377.JPG