1st gen dash door mounting area damaged, am I screwed?

anestech*

You can see damage on both sides of where the door should mount.  Is there any way to work around this, or a replacement section available?

I’ve ordered an insert since there isn’t one.  What is the 3 prong black plug in my hand for?

And lastly, the vent diffusers felt gasket are there, but damaged.  Is there a source for these?

80437DB1-191C-48B2-A6FE-E579ECEEC978.jpeg

88D2A35B-7592-4536-871E-9EA3CF38DBFB.jpeg

EAAC1069-6ADD-4B33-B1FF-E98CA797EE20.jpeg

•The hinge is a weak point but with some good glue and a metal backing plate they can be fixed.

•When you get your insert, there will be a hole in the top for that lamp socket.  You'll need the mounting bracket    and lens with bezel to be complete.

•What color are the wires?  Complete wiring harnesses were installed in cars that didn't come with the option for the wiring.  There are lots of loose terminals that are unused in lots of cars.  I bought a couple of door handle surrounds for my 94 Roadmaster to replace a broken one. The replacements I got (had to buy the pair to get the one I wanted) came with concert sound tweeters.  When I changed out the broken one, I found the speaker wire. It had been there since the car came off the assembly line.  Naturally I installed the other one as well.  Those wires had been dormant for 25 years. 

Could be the same for your terminal.   Lead for a power antenna? 63 or 64? 64 could be a lead for a rear window defroster.  Can't recall off hand which accessory had the three wire switch.

You might have clearance problems if you add a piece to the outside.  The repair as pictured in the link looked good. This was probably done before the availability of super glue too.  If you have all the pieces, glue them back together and add the strip as shown in the dealer service bulletin and pictures from the link.  

The glove box assembly is practically identical on the '65. It was poorly designed & shouldn't have gone into production for three years. I repaired mine more than once over the years in a similar manner w braces from the local hardware store & JB, but it will always be a weak spot so take care when using from now on. On my '65, part of the problem was the excessive spring strength in the glove box light switch, which is right at the repair sight. It is far greater than needed to pop the door, & exerts excess pressure on the weak spot.  I either replaced the spring with a weaker one or I dreamed I did, I can't remember cause Im old, & also too lazy to get up & go look. But it's some thing to consider.    NIK

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

I think one of my cars (past or present I don't know) has/had this factory fix. Regardless, it worked well.

Can anyone identify the Group and part  #.  Was it something off the shelf or a new production item?

The part specified is the glovebox reinforcement which was added the the front upper edge of the glovebox insert. The reinforcement was added because the top edge of the glovebox insert was sagging.

Tom Mooney

I have one of those.  So are they trimming the length and slipping the broken part of the hinge into the channel?  If they are, it's not shown or explained in the illustration.  

I take it from this that a flat reinforcement is not being used.  Am I understanding all of ths correctly?

Ed

3 hours ago, anestech* said:

Anyone have a source for the dash light mounting bracket, lens with bezel?  Does this look correct for the bracket? https://www.carid.com/qrp/underdash-lamp-bracket-mpn-4876930.html?singleid=100948929&url=15195693 Any pics to help me look if you don't have a source? 

You're not very clear in your reference to "dash light."  This thread has been dealing with a glove box with a broken hinge.  IF you're wanting to know if that's the correct bracket for a glove box lamp, the answer is no.

The attached pictures show the correct lamp housing and wiring harness.  The wire with bulb socket is not shown with the harness but in a separate picture, it's the orange wire. The bulb socket clips inside the hole in the housing.872394482_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.e8bbf9cdf71e0f15374713ddf0389549.jpg .  The housing w/ lens is attached to the box using two screws and two flat speed nuts.936670705_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.ad040f9bb81086d8dcb77636436d63d1.jpg586573471_s-l400(1).jpg.dca18f689e6bc9ff44773e860dadd589.jpg184287117_download(3).jpeg.20b3bfa928e75ade62e4a59bc9833f96.jpeg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, anestech* said:

Anyone have a source for the dash light mounting bracket, lens with bezel?  Does this look correct for the bracket? https://www.carid.com/qrp/underdash-lamp-bracket-mpn-4876930.html?singleid=100948929&url=15195693 Any pics to help me look if you don't have a source? 

Contact one of the many vendors in the ROA Riview. They are just a phone call or e-mail away. If you are not a member of the Riviera Owner's Association you should be. A wealth of info and parts sources. I am sure you can find a good used piece. Stay with original whenever you can. Less headaches and a for sure fit. 

Bill

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Tom (1965rivgs) sold me a pristine dash section, but when I went to put it it, it would not fit.  It has a different mounting than my car and original dash section do, and it simply does not fit.  In the pics the one with the vent diffuser installed is what Tom sold me, and the one without is my original.  Tom is taking care of me with a refund, but I’m back to square one.

Anyone else out there have a section for an AC equipped 1964?  My original has a crack on the outside as well, so I’d rather not do the repair of the hinge mount.

D5639440-F1F3-4D79-A0DD-789EC3EAA6A6.jpeg

F814F534-63F8-4852-9D62-9E9DC6CEC9EB.jpeg

BEFC3234-DD1E-498B-BE79-41EB6AEC08F5.jpeg