anyone know-chevy hubcaps?

mercer09

these hubcaps would be fitted to the spare tire so that could not be taken, was a common thing to see on cars of the 1932 - 34 era. There were also a slock system that wasn't in the hubcap that helped hold the tire and rim in place that many times had "Oakes" locks. these are mostly seen from 1928-34 as well on some of the larger cars of that era.

No thanks necessary, we are all in this because the old cars make us feel good, kindred spirits . Most of us would never have met each other if we didn't have this common bond of cars, history , and admiration of what was made so many decades ago and still can function as it was designed and intended to.

Think of the people who attend Hershey - many from Europe, all walking around, happy to be there, genuine euphoria that something like that is happening.

Always glad to help anyone I can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A locking fender mount spare tire hold down can be seen in this picture.

Had to look one up on the internet since I am not home to take a picture of my car's spares.

vintage-spare-tire-lateral-mounted-typic

Back when these cars were sold, spares were often an additional cost where you bought the rim and also had to buy the tire. The spares were a $20 option and when the car cost $500, that twenty was a substantial amount. I imagine stealing spare wheels and tires was pretty commonplace especially during the depression. My 32’ Olds came with locks as standard  equipment if you bought the spare wheels.

• Like 1

I don't know when the Oakes spare tire lock first came out. But the '25 Studebaker I had many years ago was a solid original car and it had what appeared to be a factory original Oakes spare tire lock. The casting and rivets all looked factory done. They were available after-market, and as options on many cars.