Fallout from Kevin Harts Cuda

Frantz

Kevin Hart may be sued for not having safety features

At first it would appear the lawsuit is because of the modifications. However, to me that doesn't pan out. These cars could have well over 400 hp new so the jump to 700 isn't what made them more dangerous. It was just a different car and a different time. The modifications aren't really a rational consideration if the requirement to have safety features is to be considered. What is the cut off going to be based on? My '54 Ford had 130hp, so if I drop in a 302 (don't worry AACA folks, I won't!) I'm over double the designed HP without much effort. And the talk of airbags is downright scary. I don't want aftermarket airbags. And what company would be dumb enough to put themselves on the line for after market installed airbags liability. This appears to be a very slippery slope of reasoning, and could greatly threaten the enjoyment of antique cars on public roads or with friends. 

2 hours ago, ted sweet said:

issue is it came stock with seat and shoulder belts but had none

I've not seen any reporting to suggest it didn't have seat-belts. Several sources say it did but just not 5 point seat belts. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done some fairly stupid speeds with underpowered cars. Speed is the factor much more than how quick they get there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 9:48 AM, TAKerry said:

Old thread, but unless on a purpose built track, why does a car need 700HP?

Goes without saying but I doubt "need" is involved. More like want...

He now owns a 59' Vette with 460 HP and a 70' Charger with 1000 HP as of spring 2021. Let's hope he (and any friends he lets drive) decide to have a bit more respect for these beasts and the public this time around.

• 1 month later...

KEVIN HART
NO LAWSUITS FILED
After Horrendous Car Crash

Investigators concluded no one was wearing a seat belt and there were no safety harnesses in the car.

There was also talk the company that customized the car would be sued since there were no safety harnesses in the vehicle. The fact is though, since no one even had a seat belt on, the harness would have gone unused and done no good.

Our sources also say no money has changed hands as part of a settlement. 

It was suggested that it was negligent to make a car with that much power without including a safety harness and roll cage, because it would be easy to flip it. Legal negligence is when something is reasonably foreseeable and you do nothing to prevent it.

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:58 PM, mike6024 said:

KEVIN HART
NO LAWSUITS FILED
After Horrendous Car Crash

Investigators concluded no one was wearing a seat belt and there were no safety harnesses in the car.

There was also talk the company that customized the car would be sued since there were no safety harnesses in the vehicle. The fact is though, since no one even had a seat belt on, the harness would have gone unused and done no good.

Our sources also say no money has changed hands as part of a settlement. 

It was suggested that it was negligent to make a car with that much power without including a safety harness and roll cage, because it would be easy to flip it. Legal negligence is when something is reasonably foreseeable and you do nothing to prevent it.

After reading this I thought "can we all just agree to disagree and hug this thing out since no one got hurt badly". 

Yet if it were any normal person the book would be hiding in a place where the sun don't shine. 

Gotta love the double standards in every phase of society anymore...
I'm still jealous he has a 1000hp mopar so I'm biased. Must be the Hellephant?