odd size pet cock

Yes, photos would be most helpful.  Most petcocks had a tapered thread on them.  The small sizes are usually found easily in swap meets-Hershey would be a great opportunity.  I may have a few in my stuff headed to Hershey in Oct but again, if you supply a photo, it would help tremendously.

Terry

Actually, 3/8 NPT would have 18 threads per inch and be just about 5/8" OD at the wide end.  To clarify, are we talking about a petcock with STRAIGHT 5/8-18 threads that seals with a crush washer or gasket, or are we talking about a more common petcock with tapered pipe threads? If the latter, it's 3/8 NPT per your dimensions. Pretty common.

Attached find photo of my problem. Apparently some time in the past when the engine was out of the car, some one drilled and tapped the block to the larger 5/8" x 18 dimension and used the square plug shown in the photo. I'd like to install a "normal" pet cock,  but with the engine back in the car and the steering column in the way, it's impossible to drill and retap for a smaller insert or bushing to accept a 3/8" or 1/2" pet cock. I'm unaware if anyone make a 5/8" x 18 pet cock. I've seached but can't find one.

pet cock.jpg