1949 Plymouth 3 Window Coupe

58 minutes ago, The 55er said:

Pictures and serial number on the green Wayfarer roadster pictured suggest that this is a 1949 D-29 model and not a 1950. I wonder if they have a title for it?

Auctions are often quite wrong in their years.  The handlers are asked to come in and do an inventory and usually the estate kids or whomever have no idea what Grandpa had, just that they are making cruise ship reservations on what the auction will net. 

I doubt there is a title. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

The auction car is actually a 1951 Plymouth coupe.

Picture 30099.jpg

1951 Plymouth.jpg

keiser31 - I had hoped you would spot these and comment.  I have NOT placed a bid on the Wayfarer convertible but I did place a bid on this coupe.  It's quite nice, a welcome deviation from the 3 box shape of the 1949's. 

I know this was somewhat of a carryover body from 1946-1948.   There are many fans, or there were, of these Wayfarer, and similar 3 person coupes going back to 1942.  I believe the Thunderbolt inspired these. 

I wonder if the estate owner bought THIS car to support the restoration of the Wayfarer?  I believe they have the same bodies more or less, but again, I rely on experts like you when it comes to Mopar. 

By the way, either dash is great in my opinion.

1 hour ago, The 55er said:

Pictures and serial number on the green Wayfarer roadster pictured suggest that this is a 1949 D-29 model and not a 1950. I wonder if they have a title for it?

1949-1952 Dodge Wayfarer Prices and Production:

1949 Wayfarer (wb 115) Weight Price Production
coupe, 3P 3,065 $1,611 9,342
2d sedan 3,180 1,738 49,054
roadster/convertible 3,145 1,727 5,420
Total 1949 Wayfarer     63,816
1950 Wayfarer (wb 115) Weight Price Production
coupe, 3P 3,095 1,611 7,500
2d sedan 3,200 1,738 65,000
Sportabout convertible 3,155 1,727 2,903
Total 1950 Wayfarer    

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

Not that production numbers will influence the purchase of the Wayfarer, but there was quite a reduction in "roadster" sales by 1950.  Again though, the sellers market was eroding by 1950, and roadsters lacked almost any measure of practicality.  As collectors, who cares!     115 inch wheelbase. 

34 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The Plymouth coupe looks solid,  on those you can buy the nicest one in the world for about 15k.  So you want to stay around 3500 or 4k with this one, assuming underneath is as good as the top.

I would prefer to restore a car, and not buy a car for $15,000.   It makes no economic sense to restore ANY car anymore.  It is a HOBBY, and a dying one at that.  The last thing I would do if I won this car is keep a stupid ledger of costs and "stop" when I reached a certain milestone. 

For this one, I agree that I would try to get it running as is, clean it up and enjoy it as is. BUT, a restoration of a 6 cylinder circa 1946 to 1953ish Mopar costs far less than virtually every other make available.  I believe a person could restore that flathead for $2500 to $3000.  Try doing that with an Olds V8, Cadillac V8 or even a Chrysler Straight 8. 

And I don't know what your reference is but the idea that every old car needs to be restored to Concours level, 2 stage paint and SMS interior is the biggest problem with the hobby.   I'll bet whoever ends with this car can get it running, work out some bugs and clip off a major restoration need once a year for a few years, then offer it for sale as a great driver class car.  No one I know is pulling bodies off of these and doing $75,000 restorations. 

I admit the Wayfarer convertible is challenged but this car has the equally conservative small body, fits in a garage nicely and would deliver a lot of old car hobby, ice cream shop runs just as much as a 55 Imperial 2 door hardtop, at a fraction of the cost.  Not every old car needs to be a 300 convertible costing $135,000. 

My frame of reference is getting it presentable, safe and drive-able.   The coupe is worthwhile at a reasonable price.   The roadster is not.     Why would anyone do a frame off on any 48-52 Mopar save maybe a Town and Country? 

• Like 2