Sparton Bugle Chime 3 Trumpet Horn Technical Info

John C.

The attached service manual and technical articles were sent to me by Fred Weisberger of the Hawaii region.  He has an operating Sparton Bugle horn and over the years has collected a treasure trove of repair and maintenance information.  He quite nicely sent me copies of the documents as I recently acquired two horns with the idea of taking the best components from each to make one that works.   He also asked me to scan the materials and post them in the Technical Forum for the benefit of anyone interested in these fascinating vintage horns.  Many thanks and a tip of the car-guy hat to Fred!

Sparton Bugle Horn FW hook-up diagram  Pg 1 of 1.jpg

Sparton Bugle Horn Hub Cap Treatise Pg 1 of 2.jpg

Sparton Bugle Horn Hub Cap Treatise Pg 2 of 2.jpg

Sparton Bugle Horn Skinned Knuckles article  Pg 1 of 2.jpg

Sparton Bugle Horn Skinned Knuckles article  Pg 2 of 2.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Cover - 12 JPGs.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Introduction.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 1.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 2.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 3.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 4.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 5.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 6.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 7.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 8.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 9.jpg

Sparton Bugle Service Manual Pg 10 - last JPG.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• 2 weeks later...

John C. 

First off let me welcome you to the forum. Secondly Thank You for posting the information on the forum.  Your post might receive more views and appreciation on the AACA General forum farther up as these horns were used on all manner of cars and not just Classics. 

I just want to warn you as a newbie that some of the members that view these forums can be rather heartless and try not to let them discourage you.

Carl

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I certainly appreciate the posting of all this technical information.

John C. ....have you become the expert in making these horns functional?  If so, are you interested in tackling another project?

I have a 3 trumpet Bugle and a 4 trumpet Repealer that I need repaired.

• 2 years later...

To John and Fred, thank you so much for taking the time to post all this great info. I have been fascinated by and been a collector of these wonderful Sparton horns for 30 years and have many sets, some of them are New Old Stock in the original boxes. Many of them came from the estate of Sam Haight, an early collector of great classics in the LaSalle , Illinois area. I was fortunate enough to purchase his 903 Packard Dual Cowl Phaeton after he had passed away. It was shared with me by his son in law  that Sam often told the story of how he came to love the Sparton horns. When he was a youngster his Mother would take the children to play at a local park in their 1929 Packard. The kids would be released to play for hours and trained to listen to the unique song of their mothers Sparton horn when they were to return to the car to go home. Apparently, this was common between other mothers , each having their own Sparton tune so that the kids could tell which Mom was beckoning their return. This had left a sentimental spot in his heart for the Sparton horns and he collected them for many years. This information is much appreciated and will make the task of putting the horns more readilly back in service. I attach a photo of the Packard that I now own and drive often that Sam used to own, Allen Strong

DSC_8889.JPG

DSC_0148.JPG

• Like 3

I have a quite a few of these three and four trumpet musical horns.  I also have some NOS copper diaphragms, sorry no extras at this time for sale.  I may attempt to reproduce some new ones soon. 

Look at all those rhythms that were available on their four trumpet horns!  Since I own a number of them I am excited to find out which tunes they have.  I think I am correct in assuming that a different cam shaft would be required for each tune.

20220201092750.jpg.f96d775934544039eb27d68dce373848.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just had an odd experience with my horn and thought I'd ask here if anybody knows about these horns. For years I've had this horn that appeared to need work that I wasn't able to properly do to correct it's operation. After trying multiple times and methods to connect this new button I still could only get the horn to cycle once with three notes. Yesterday while going over everything online I noticed that my horn was labeled Sparton Bugle  and not Sparton Chime Bugle even though it has three trumpets and three terminals. I was able to find one 1929 add listing the Sparton Bugle but no other adds or references were found. Do I have a one year horn that later evolved into the Chime Bugle that looks identical but has the ability to sound two different sounds from the same horn?

Does anyone need this two button horn button for their Sparton Chime Bugle?

Howard Dennis802925790_Button2.jpg.fcae92b43a81d9eebbba7137c7dae8af.jpg101739186_s-l1600(10).jpg.37563830a0dbe0f5f0f7932b98734e0b.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

I have a  4 trumpet unit that plays "how dry I am".

My three trumpet plays "I'm Wild About horns".

If you go to YouTube you can hear the tunes.

The reason for the two buttons is to play either the tune or simultaneous notes.

I once had a '67 Lincoln that had three horns that played simultaneously.  Sounded great.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/1/2022 at 1:01 PM, PartsAncient said:

I have a quite a few of these three and four trumpet musical horns.  I also have some NOS copper diaphragms, sorry no extras at this time for sale.  I may attempt to reproduce some new ones soon. 

Look at all those rhythms that were available on their four trumpet horns!  Since I own a number of them I am excited to find out which tunes they have.  I think I am correct in assuming that a different cam shaft would be required for each tune.

20220201092750.jpg.f96d775934544039eb27d68dce373848.jpg

On 7/19/2022 at 12:19 PM, hddennis said:

Just had an odd experience with my horn and thought I'd ask here if anybody knows about these horns. For years I've had this horn that appeared to need work that I wasn't able to properly do to correct it's operation. After trying multiple times and methods to connect this new button I still could only get the horn to cycle once with three notes. Yesterday while going over everything online I noticed that my horn was labeled Sparton Bugle  and not Sparton Chime Bugle even though it has three trumpets and three terminals. I was able to find one 1929 add listing the Sparton Bugle but no other adds or references were found. Do I have a one year horn that later evolved into the Chime Bugle that looks identical but has the ability to sound two different sounds from the same horn?

Does anyone need this two button horn button for their Sparton Chime Bugle?

Howard Dennis802925790_Button2.jpg.fcae92b43a81d9eebbba7137c7dae8af.jpg101739186_s-l1600(10).jpg.37563830a0dbe0f5f0f7932b98734e0b.jpg

@hhd

On 1/30/2022 at 5:22 PM, hddennis said:

Just to update this thread more I finally found a source for the Sparton switch I sought 3 years ago:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133475974611?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Howard Dennis

585101741_Button1.jpg.1254354479106f7520dc00de4c42f6aa.jpg

@hddennis   What is the part number on the switch button? the ebay link is not working. 

3 hours ago, ac-slator said:

@hhd

@hddennis   What is the part number on the switch button? the ebay link is not working. 

Thank Goodness eBay keeps records as this purchase was made back in 2021!

I was able to find out seller still has some for sale:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/144735713351?itmmeta=01HSV023EVKZ1PQXQEQMW0DA90&hash=item21b2ebb847:g:Rk4AAOSwJ7hfHud4 

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)