Headlight rollers

padgett

10 years back I made some using some semi ridged plumbing tubing I found at the home improvement store.

I was afraid it would collapse so I filled the center with urethane...also had to take a slice off the outside diameter as it was 1/2 inch.

They were very tough, never broke but they would compress and come out triangular shape.....they would then have a little slop but they were very tough.

I did a motor once that had pieces of dowel in place of the plastic parts.

Also have open them up and found........hex nuts,  ball bearing, BB's,  caps from aerosol sprays  and one filled with epoxy

The plastic rollers were used in several GM car headlights.........the rollers were never available from GM as an individual part.

The same size rollers were used in Ford power windows..........so several vendors have and are making the rollers.

Some people have made aluminum rollers which will never degrade.........BUT why did GM put them in there?   We think they were like clutches or shock absorbers.

If you have something in there that does not give.....will some other (more expensive) part break?    The rollers are cheap and cheap insurance against ruining a gear or something else.

I forgot the rubber faucet washer (see last photo)

wood dowel.jpg

balls.jpg

gear-roller.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

Years ago when the rollers on my headlight disintegrated I was able to replace them with the large size hot glue sticks, cut to size. I noticed recently, while trying to get the car mobile again, that the headlights did not open, so I suspect the problem to be with the 'glue' rollers! I'll check them soon, but they lasted quite a while. Pain to change, as I recall, but cheap.