1959 Electra conv on EBAY

billbuickgs

18G or less more could buy you this car.  You will spend more than 20 to make the Original car this nice and this was just the first one I saw.  That interior doesn't look like it fit quite right in the photos on the first car.   The seat covers look loose at the seams.  If I also spent 25G on the mechanicals I would be sure to make sure they looked like it.  At 25 G on mechanics everything under the hood should look fresh.   

http://classiccardb.com/buick/366444-1959-buick-invicta-convertible-great-driving-car.html

Granted this may not be an Electra but alot better car from the once over I gave the photos.

1959-buick-invicta-convertible-great-driving-car-2.jpg

1959-buick-invicta-convertible-great-driving-car-12.jpg

1959-buick-invicta-convertible-great-driving-car-9.jpg

• Like 1

No you can't buy that car for 18. You couldn't make the original subject car anywhere near as nice as the one I posted for the 18 I mentioned.  That was the point.  Yes you could buy a project, but you will have more in it than the car I posted.  There are probably others as well.  That was the first one I saw so I didn't go further.  Once you hit 50 alot of possibilities open up and the subject car needs alot more than 11G to be as nice as most of them.  

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. Financially it's always best to buy the best car you can afford rather than restore one needing work. Even if you can do the work yourself it's easy to end up with more money in a car than you could have bought a better one for. That being said frequently it is tough starting out with a "nice" car not needing any work.

• Like 1

Even the finished ones need work it seems,  just usually sorting things and not so much complete overhauls.  Sometimes it's worth borrowing the difference as interest on the borrowed money is at a lower percent than the increase in cost of even ,materials over the same years,  plus you are already at the end of the tunnel.  That same one is seems you never seem to see the light in the end when you are rebuilding a car.  Once you go for paint on that other one,  you open the can of worms, rubber, chrome, some more might as well do that's while i'm in there.  It didn't look too bad but I saw a rust hole in the front fender and some holes in the rockers, so who knows what else a personal inspection will yield.  I always found that when i put a budget on buying a car,  if I just pushed it a little higher the cars were much much better.  Both at the very low end and at the higher end. 

If I had money to buy that 39G ragtop or that really nice 58 special coupe I just posted from Craigslist for 22500 which could probably be had for 20G cash ,  I would have probably jump on the special hardtop and I'm a convertible guy.  Lots of options when you have green bills in your hands. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 9:44 AM, auburnseeker said:

you open the can of worms,

When you can see and buy the finished product you are way ahead. After driving my '60 Electra about 1200 miles per year over the past 16 years, the fabric insert in the from seat is getting a little threadbare. SMS has the fabric, but I am scared to take it to an upholstery shop. I have a feeling it will have puckers at the corners and a wavy seam across the front. And the stuffing won't look right.

I wasn't born thinking like that. I was taught by professionals.

I saw the Ebay car and wondered if that was Warren Patterson's old car.

Bernie

• Like 1

Y-Job Fan, you are completely correct.  The Fisher Body data plate indicates that this car was built with a gray interior.  Given the decision to switch the interior color, the restorer needs to complete the job and change the color of the steering wheel, dash board, etc.

• Like 1