Exhaust manifold thread size

Yes, mine has the large single nut. The nut I have seems ok but the threads on the manifold look worn down. The nut slips on half way up the thread before it grabs. I thought I might take it to a machine shop and have them build up that area with braze then recut the thread.

John I had a similar problem I got a peanut and packing from Myers and used valve grinding compound and worked the nut by hand until it would screw on up the the shoulder on the manifold wrapped the packing around the pipe run the nut up to the shoulder and that keeps the pipedream free I think it cost less than $25.00     Mike

Find your self a thread file, McMAster-Carr sells them. They have 8 different pitches  and there is two different ones to cover almost any pitch you need. You can dress the threads with that. Decide what pitch thread you have and use the file like a real file, in ONE direction. Work your way around the diameter. 

For the record the thread is a nominal 2 3/8" x 16tpi. The spare I have measures 10 thou under this for an easy fit.  The easiest way out if your threads are worn is to have an oversize nut made up. 

14 hours ago, Mikefit said:

John I had a similar problem I got a peanut and packing from Myers and used valve grinding compound and worked the nut by hand until it would screw on up the the shoulder on the manifold wrapped the packing around the pipe run the nut up to the shoulder and that keeps the pipedream free I think it cost less than $25.00     Mike

Is the packing used on the manifold thread like a thread tape and is it like a ribbon or rope?