Sedan body - what is it? Circa 1936 maybe?

nzcarnerd

Sure looks like GM to me. Any chance of a Fisher body tag on the firewall? Or maybe something that could identify it as a Holden body? Look at those little dents on the cowl where the hooks were to hold the wired cowl lacing. Also the unused wiper feed-throughs under the windshield match my 1936 Pontiac, as does the cowl vent, and maybe even the windshield. Doors are hinged in front. Everything about this screams 1936 Fisher to me.

I think the grille is from something else.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

41 minutes ago, Bloo said:

Sure looks like GM to me. Any chance of a Fisher body tag on the firewall? Or maybe something that could identify it as a Holden body? Look at those little dents on the cowl where the hooks were to hold the wired cowl lacing. Also the unused wiper feed-throughs under the windshield match my 1936 Pontiac, as does the cowl vent, and maybe even the windshield. Doors are hinged in front. Everything about this screams 1936 Fisher to me.

I think the grille is from something else.

No other info than what you see unfortunately.  1936 Fisher was my first thought too.

The 1936 Holden sedan bodies all had suicide front doors.

I did consider the bigger Vauxhalls and other English cars but nothing seemed to match.

I guess a search of under the hood photos some of the models suggested might find the patterns of the swage lines.

The Vauxhall Cowl bead line and door swing looks correct.  The grille doesn't quite though,  unless there were other variations.  Could the grille be from a different car and they just cleaned up the yard where they pulled it out of.  The color variants are similar but not exact.  I see a bunch of gray the car doesn't show. 

1936 Pontiac fast back style (or a close GM cousin. Buick would be model 47).  Vent cowl looks GM style

Look at the pressing in the firewall on this-->

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/2118/1936-Pontiac-Silverstreak

Not many 1930's GM Holden bodies in NZ.  GM New Zealand assembled in Petone, Wellington using imported Fisher bodies

For that shell "free" may be on the high side price!

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

1936 Pontiac fast back style (or a close GM cousin. Buick would be model 47).  Vent cowl looks GM style

Look at the pressing in the firewall on this-->

https://www.grautogallery.com/vehicles/2118/1936-Pontiac-Silverstreak

I thought so too. If it weren't pouring rain I would go outside and take a picture.

10 minutes ago, 1939_Buick said:

Not many 1930's GM Holden bodies in NZ.  GM New Zealand assembled in Petone, Wellington using imported Fisher bodies

Well. that explains it. I would have expected if they were sending things all the way from North America, New Zealand would have got the same stuff Australia did. I guess not.

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

1936 Studebaker Dictator....

The grille sure looks like it. It's probably from a different car. Were there any Fisher bodied Studebakers?

Just for fun, have a look at this thread:

Australia made bodies from scratch, due the import taxes of the time.  GM Holden made bodies for a lot of brands (not just GM). Are different in detail from USA Fisher

TJ Richards (Chrysler) was another major local Au body builder

I am leaning towards this being a 1936 Oldsmobile. My research has shown that even though the GM bodies from this era are very similar there are differences.

This engine shot of a '35 Olds shows the same swage lines on the firewall as the mystery car. The mystery car has conventional front doors so is '36.

3289_p9_l.jpg