Replace those bad pot metal parts...

Jimmy S

In the 60’s my grandpa played with low melting point alloys and “RTV” rubber.  He used to make a lot of his own parts,  here’s a light switch handle he made for (I believe) an early Dodge. 

9C187D57-D253-42D8-BE12-A89600EA47D2.jpeg

CEAB6A7D-ECA0-48F8-B678-A53C08A541FB.jpeg

1B6EE0BA-F098-43EA-B401-994668B64DBC.jpeg

5F4E66D9-26CB-4E87-81F3-07812B1BEA05.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Now in the 21st Century, you can 3-D print that!!

Craig

Probably!!! I wish I would have written down the name of the alloy, I have about 5#’s of it, just in case....

• Like 1

Hi Jimmy S ! You can take a sample of the alloy to your regional assay office and have it drilled in several places and analyzed for content. If you'd like to do it ; not expensive, that's what they do.   -   Carl 

P.S.  Hmmmm........... My feeble old mind just realized that content analysis is the part which is inexpensive. Exact percentage is another matter. I guess I shouldn't be too critical of what is left of my memory kind of surprised 

that critical detail popped up at all. Anyway, if you need to know, they can do it.    -     CC 

Edited by C Carl
Add P.S. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've used some Cerrometal that was given to me by a Brother In Law that was a metallurgist.  http://csalloys.com/cerro-alloys-casting-at-home.html

Made a copy of a British BARC badge for my Austin when Walt G was having his original restored.

Interesting stuff to work with. You melt it in boiling water and use RTV, or two -part hobby casting rubber molds, or plaster of Paris, as I did because I had that on hand.

Paul

On 5/6/2019 at 6:15 AM, Jimmy S said:

In the 60’s my grandpa played with low melting point alloys and “RTV” rubber.  He used to make a lot of his own parts,  here’s a light switch handle he made for (I believe) an early Dodge. 

9C187D57-D253-42D8-BE12-A89600EA47D2.jpeg

CEAB6A7D-ECA0-48F8-B678-A53C08A541FB.jpeg

1B6EE0BA-F098-43EA-B401-994668B64DBC.jpeg

5F4E66D9-26CB-4E87-81F3-07812B1BEA05.jpeg

Very Nice casting. Nice casting indeed! RTV works great for low temp metals such as bismyth (180 I believe), but not so good for zamac (pot metal). It melts at 730... Plaster of Peris works and captures detail like no other!!

Edited by Potmetalwelder (see edit history)

On 5/6/2019 at 6:40 AM, Jimmy S said:

Probably!!! I wish I would have written down the name of the alloy, I have about 5#’s of it, just in case....

I occasionally will do casting using zamac (pot metal). It has a fairly low melting point and it forms good. The trick is using a mold material that will hold fine detail the can also be preheated to brake the molting metal surface tention.

James