1926 Buick master six How much compression should it have

Tom hodkin

I’m new to this car so please help me. I did a compression test and have 70-80 psi per cylinder.  The guy who had it before installed a different distributor and down draft Rochester carb fed with a electric fuel pump. I just can not get it to run correctly.  Plugs show too much fuel black sooty looking.  Any help you can give will be appreciated. I’m vacationing this week going to Carlyle swap meet this week. Hope to meet some of you guys there.. thanks in advance. 

Tom, 

That is pretty good compression.  These cars are 4.5 to 1 compression ratio.  Modern cars are 8 to 1 or better.  A vacuum gauge reading on the intake manifold should be 13-14 mm Hg and steady.   Distributor changes are common as Buick used pot metal on the housing.  A change to the distributor should not really effect the car like a change in the carburetor or the condition of the carburetor.  Hugh

15 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

Is this the formula?

(14.7 x .8 x 4.51.3  ) - 14.7

I can't do 4.51.3  in my head

Yes. 4.51.3 is damned hard in one's head. In my first life, before calculators, I would have done it with reference to Chamber's seven figure log tables, or maybe on my slide rule.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:07 AM, Spinneyhill said:

Yes. 4.51.3 is damned hard in one's head. In my first life, before calculators, I would have done it with reference to Chamber's seven figure log tables, or maybe on my slide rule.

Don't knock slide rules......we got men to the moon on slide rules.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:11 PM, Larry Schramm said:

I still have my slide rule that was my Dad's in college.

I still have the one my Dad used to. Tried to give it to my son, who was about 16 at the time, and told him it was his Grandfather's computer. He just looked at me like I had turned into an alien.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1