1924 Packard Sport ? Anyone know this car ?

Trulyvintage

Packard in 1924 issued a accessory catalog (No. 52  , so there were a few others issued over the years before this one) Packard knew how to add a few extra $ to the total cost of the car to let the customer personalize what he was buying. I have one of these 1924 accessory catalogs in my archives that also notes it was from the "General Accessories Department - Packard Motor Car Company of New York" 32 pages that are 9 1/2 x 12 1/2 inches. the wind wings and tonneau windshield are shown that is on the car here that is under discussion, but is a slightly different shape having rounded corners at the back edge. There are many many accessories show that were available for purchase, among the more interesting : a windshield visor - two piece in glass that fit on the outside top of the windshield frame on open body styles, not sedans. And an incredible amount of accessory spot lamps, running board lights etc. as well.

Glad I had my file box of Packard accessory catalogs out ( I am currently working on / finishing up a story of the history of tonneau windshields in the USA) when this post was made, it was easy to look up to share the information with all of you.

• Like 2

Walt,

Thank You for posting.

I did a walk around video which I posted on my Facebook page and in it I noted that the windshield and the side windows were marked “ safety glass “ which means they were replaced probably because of practical concerns.

I think the front deflectors were also marked “ safety glass “which explains the difference in appearance.

Do you think the additional lights on the front clip and by the windshield are also factory accessories ?

0A1F3346-4AA7-4550-8CA2-61581FF08A55.jpeg.2d8b3b80c1752697941dc8c9b0d9a970.jpeg

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Here is a comparable 1924 Packard Eight Sport. I remember this car. A friend ended up buying it. It ran like a rocket and was a very, very clean older restoration. I would say in today's market, the car being discussed in this thread is worth slightly less than this one sold for as it appears to be in lesser condition and perhaps not running.

These early "sport" models finally evolved into the famous and highly sought after 443s of 1928. There are some nice examples of 443s that could be bought in the  +/- 125K range. These earlier cars are far less desirable and are not the performers that the 443s are.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17320/lot/218/?category=list

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

I'd have to agree with you, even though that's a 10-year-old sale. Another comparable would be a solid, complete and authentic (yet needing restoration) 1929 Packard 645 Dual Cowl phaeton that sold in the $40,000 range. And though the Sport model is rare, interesting and intriguing, if I had to choose, I'd opt for the above-mentioned 443 or 645 dual cowl.

9 minutes ago, autoluke said:

Jim

Is the car actually being sold by you, or are you only trying to get a market perspective for the owner ?

I am researching the history of the car.

I started this thread to see if any members

had any information they had to contribute

to the research.

I reached out to The Studebaker National Museum today where ( hopefully ) the sales records of 1924 Packards are kept.

I am not selling the car.

Jim

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:31 AM, trimacar said:

I never have quite understood the covering up of license plates, has anyone ever really been "hunted down" due to a picture of them?  If one had access to those records, it would seem the other numbers posted could trace owner too...

I have a friend that outfits brand new police cars.

He installs all of the electronics etc.

Police cars these days are outfitted with cameras all around that constantly scan the license plates on every car they can see.

In turn those license numbers are sent to the computer and a readout on the computer screen supplies the cop with every registered owner whose automobile is within his sight.

So if a cop for instance cruises the mall parking he could know the name of just about everybody that is shopping there in real time.

Or if the cop is cruising the hiway and the red light on his computer screen comes on he will know that the car he just passed may be carrying some one with a warrant.

Big Brother may be watching you as well. !!!!

22 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

I reached out to The Studebaker National Museum today where ( hopefully ) the sales records of 1924 Packards are kept.

Jim

Don't hold your breath. As far as I know, all Packard records, other than a few that were managed to be sneaked out before the merger was complete, were destroyed. The few records that survive are in a private collection.

Jim

Regarding the lights at the cowl area near the windshield. According to the accessory catalog Packard Special Cowl Lamps: the eight cylinder used their A-1957 light which was a small drum lamp that looked very much like the headlamps, the Packard Six used a totally different light, mounting bracket and all, that was a drum shape too but had a much more elaborate design to the rim. that was light A-1956.  The brackets the lamps that are mounted on the car that is shown here seem to be correct as well. The other lamps mounted down by the radiator up near the bumper are not shown in the accessory catalog ( although may be period , seem to be but perhaps were put on by the dealer or the owner at the time ) the only "accessory for night driving" lamps shown in the accessory catalog are Saf-De-Lites. These had about 1/3 of the front glass covered by a shield to direct the light towards the curb. Did not resemble any other lamp manufactured for this purpose of the era and were still available as Packard authorized accessories in 1930 for the 7th series cars of that year. I have a pair on my 1930 touring car . Everyone ( well almost) mounts a pair of Trippe lamps on their car for show purposes but there are at least a half dozen or more other lamps available during the 1920-32 era that were in use and at least on a Packard Trippe lights weren't necessarily the lamp of choice as suggested by the factory. Many times a single lamp was mounted at the center down in front of the radiator shell ( did not swivel, I am not talking about a Pilot Ray light) .

Sorry to run on so long everyone - I base all my comments on what I have seen in either period photographs, or period literature issued by the factory or accessory stores like Nil Melior that was in NY City and was the "high end" accessory store for people who owned what today are called full classic cars. If I don't see it in print from a source during  "the era" when the cars were being sold new , I don't comment on something.  I  won't/can't state something is "right" or correct unless I can prove it. It is why I do not judge cars at car shows ! I am to obsessed with period correct items to look at something and think "well that's close enough".

Walt G

• Like 3

I really like the accessory driving lights this car has. Much more authentic-looking than Trippes or Pilot Rays that people often install on early cars (a mistake, in my opinion). And while I usually like large driving lights on a big car like this, those look exactly right in this application.

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I really like the accessory driving lights this car has. Much more authentic-looking than Trippes or Pilot Rays that people often install on early cars (a mistake, in my opinion). And while I usually like large driving lights on a big car like this, those look exactly right in this application.

They look like K-D Model No. 700's... I like the look also. Dirt cheap compared to the Trippe lights.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sincere Thanks

To All Who Have Contributed 😉

I found my way to Mr. James Pearsall

in NJ who is the Packard Roster Keeper

for this Packard Model for The Packard Club.

We had a good conversation.

Just to refresh - the tags I had found were:

Engine

CB0109C7-ABA5-4441-A79B-CFD814D18ECC.jpeg.24a8caab19d1db6d595fb1dbcb492a77.jpeg

Frame

2C950517-B0A0-4D7C-AB4C-BB48C615C357.jpeg.35f2ba81b35d974e7f76c650a41490df.jpeg

Inside Firewall

E0DAF371-4309-481F-9503-E642AD9AAA4A.jpeg.b59c50f04e86b395db53edff453dbd8e.jpeg

Jim asked me about a fourth tag .... 

A tag he said was located at the rear passenger door sill on the floor on

the wood body .....

We found it:

F8BB4378-8BC8-4199-B0EA-B10681EE039B.jpeg.3034c372fd2037c38855fadb2b4c291f.jpeg

The first three numbers denote body

style ( Sport ).

The second three denote the production

number ( 218 ).

This is the 218th Sport produced in the

first year of manufacturing the Sport.

I don’t know know numberwise where

it stands for 1924 Packard Sport 8 production

( factory 8 cylinder cars ).

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Matt my friend , I agree completely. The driving lights on this car are miniature copies of the style of the headlamps.  Later trippe and Pilot Ray lights have a conical shaped body, not a drum shape, so do not match or blend in harmony of style and shape.  The size of accessories has a lot to do with proportion and harmony of design for the whole look of the car as well .

In addition, if yo want to know Packard history and data pre war for the cars from about 1920 thru 1940, Jim Pearsall is the one to talk to.

Edited by Walt G
additional information added (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...